Does psych need a prelim/transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

espaceLumiere

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if psych residency programs need a prelim year or transitional year? Or is it program dependent? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if psych residency programs need a prelim year or transitional year? Or is it program dependent? Thanks!
I've searched many psych programs, and I haven't seen one that does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to high-jack this thread, but my follow question is somewhat related. ;)
True, most psych programs don't require a prelim year, but is 6 months of medicine really enough, especially if you're considering c/l? Or is going to a relatively biological program sufficient (and 6 months) sufficient to give you a good medicine base? As someone interested in c/l, I worry about having a sufficient background. Plus, I hear that most psychiatry programs internationally require 1 year of medicine anyway, should one want to escape the US. Any thoughts??

Hate to high-jack this thread, but my follow question is somewhat related. ;)
True, most psych programs don't require a prelim year, but is 6 months of medicine really enough, especially if you're considering c/l? Or is going to a relatively biological program sufficient (and 6 months) sufficient to give you a good medicine base? As someone interested in c/l, I worry about having a sufficient background. Plus, I hear that most psychiatry programs internationally require 1 year of medicine anyway, should one want to escape the US. Any thoughts??

Depends on the 6 months of medicine. From a CL standpoint, the more rigorous (i.e. inpatient wards and ICU), the better. Just as important is how much time you spend on CL (the minimum is 2 months, some programs go up to 6), and how much time on-call/nightfloat in the general hospital setting (call at a freestanding psych hospital will not give you as much CL exposure). I spent 18 months of my residency on CL because I went into psychiatry knowing that this is what I wanted to do, and I looked for a program that would give me maximal exposure prior to fellowship.

I wonder if someone wants to do c/l psychiatry, would it be better to focus on completing an accredited c/l fellowship rather than on a "medicine vs psychiatry" internship?

I wonder if someone wants to do c/l psychiatry, would it be better to focus on completing an accredited c/l fellowship rather than on a "medicine vs psychiatry" internship?

You need the fellowship for sure - but there's a lot you can do during residency (and in the choosing of your residency) to better prepare for your fellowship experience.

You need the fellowship for sure - but there's a lot you can do during residency (and in the choosing of your residency) to better prepare for your fellowship experience.

What about people who go into one of those combined psych / internal medicine programs? Is it still advisable [required?] to do a C/L fellowship?

What about people who go into one of those combined psych / internal medicine programs? Is it still advisable [required?] to do a C/L fellowship?

If you want to be board certified in Psychosomatic Medicine, you have to do an accredited fellowship. I believe this is the last year to be grandfathered in to take the exam if you've worked for more than 2 years with more than 25% of your practice being CL work.

Another question from the peanut gallery: if your interest is in C/L psych focusing on C&A, is it possible to find work in this area just with a C&A fellowship?

I can see the value of an additional fellowship in C/L, but I also see the value of my wife not going ballistic at the thought of more training.

Another question from the peanut gallery: if your interest is in C/L psych focusing on C&A, is it possible to find work in this area just with a C&A fellowship?

I can see the value of an additional fellowship in C/L, but I also see the value of my wife not going ballistic at the thought of more training.

Yes, this is usually the case for C&A CL psychiatrists (no CL fellowship). I don't think we really know how the addition of a board certification in Psychosomatic Medicine is going to affect this group in terms of credentialing, reimbursement, etc.

Yes, this is usually the case for C&A CL psychiatrists (no CL fellowship). I don't think we really know how the addition of a board certification in Psychosomatic Medicine is going to affect this group in terms of credentialing, reimbursement, etc.
As always, thanks for the tips...

Can triple-boarders do pedi psych C&L work without the C&L fellowship?

Can triple-boarders do pedi psych C&L work without the C&L fellowship?

In my experience, almost all child consult docs do not have a CL fellowship (I only know one triple boarded doc, and he did CL work too - without the CL fellowship - before becoming dept chair). Again though, now that CL is a boarded subspecialty, it remains to be seen how this will affect C&A CL reimbursement, credentialing, etc.