does rank matter below tier 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh here we go... I see an argument coming my way...and I would like to defend myself...

As for the "credibility" issue - READ what I wrote in parentheticals afterwards - I recognized that students match well there anyway - so there you go! So all I was trying to say in my convoluted writing style is that people in general should stop complaining about rankings and help their school's ranking by scoring better on the boards, match better, etc.

As for Tulane's "credibility" it's not fantastic as I know of plenty of people who look at me funny and say, where's that? what's that? huh? But I try not to give a damn b/c well, you can't let people get you down all the time. But more importantly, MY opinion counts the most in terms of my decision to go to which school.
I still think it's a great school.

Clarified?

Members don't see this ad.

people in general should stop complaining about rankings and help their school's ranking by scoring better on the boards, match better, etc.

I wish board scores and top 3 match rates were part of rankings! That would add a little more credibility.

BTW, Tulane's a good, and very fun school...you'll love it there. Just don't spend too much time on Bourbon St!

Thanks to the person who wrote the last post. :) Thanks for the positive outlook!

Members don't see this ad :)
Few schools have Tulane's public health focus; definately something to look forward to.

Obsessing about rankings completely is really bad, but rankings have also done some schools some favors. Without US News, everyone would consider Harvard, Yale, Princeton (not a typo), Stanford, and MIT (again not a typo) as the top med schools. At least US News gives the WashUs, Penns, Dukes, and UCSFs of the world a fighting chance in a world already driven by prestige.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Obsessing about rankings completely is really bad, but rankings have also done some schools some favors. Without US News, everyone would consider Harvard, Yale, Princeton (not a typo), Stanford, and MIT (again not a typo) as the top med schools. At least US News gives the WashUs, Penns, Dukes, and UCSFs of the world a fighting chance in a world already driven by prestige.

people in the medical community know which schools are prestigeous. there aren't that many... it's not that hard to keep up with which are good. who cares if US news lets a bunch of people not remotely involved in medicine know that certain state schools are better than certain well-known private schools. trust me, the residency directors aren't basing their rankings of med schools on what US news says. get over it.:p

Originally posted by DrWuStar
people in the medical community know which schools are prestigeous. there aren't that many... it's not that hard to keep up with which are good. who cares if US news lets a bunch of people not remotely involved in medicine know that certain state schools are better than certain well-known private schools. trust me, the residency directors aren't basing their rankings of med schools on what US news says. get over it.:p

Yeah, but applicants wouldnt know either :rolleyes:

You should really go to whatever school you like best....For the Davis question...I would def go to Davis over most private schools...eps b/c the UC med schools are considered to be the best public schools in the country (for med at least)....on the other hand...Downstate where I am has a very good NYC and Northeast reputation for turning out excellent residents...Even though it is not ranked very high, you get one of the best clinical exposures in the country (due to the fact Kings County is across the street- 5th highest trauma center in the country)...This makes up for the not as high ranking, not amazing research dollars, etc. B/C all Residency directors are interested in is what type of doctor YOU will be based upon your CV...you will become the best MD where you feel the most comfortable....of course if you only get 1 acceptance (lol), i gurantee you'll be the most comfortable there....rather than a master's to try to get into your dream school....