Does ranking matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yujeshi

Reaction score
I recently got accepted into two schools and the ranking difference is quite large. I really like both programs but I actually prefer the "lower" ranking school. Would this make it harder for me to get a job in the future? What are people's thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Rankings are based on what professors of PT programs think about other PT programs. AKA they hold no real meaning.

I had the same problem, got into two "highly ranking schools" and one newer school that wasn't so high on those ranks, but would ultimately be cheaper for me to attend. I sought advice from many PTs and they said that when it comes to the hiring process, they really only look to make sure you have your license and don't really care about where you got your degree from. So choose the school you feel you'll be the most comfortable and happy at and the one where you'll spend the least amount of money/take out the least amount of loans.

Reactions: 1 user
The rankings are a paradox. A well-intentioned, but poorly designed survey holds a lot of sway over student choices. If it does anything, it should help inform a student's choice. IE, if a school is highly ranked, then why are they highly ranked and why would another school not be as highly ranked? The base assumption is that higher ranked schools are "better" and lower ranked schools are not. Simply not the case. Occasionally it might be the case, however, it is probably the exception, not the rule.

Choose the school that gets you to your goal at the lowest cost to you in the long run. Graduation rates and licensure exam pass rates should matter as well as tuition cost and cost of living in the area. Kind regards--

Reactions: 3 users