does ranking really help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidingDoors

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking for people's opinions on how much they think their medical school's ranking helped/hurt them in the matching process, depneding on whether it was a highly ranked school or not. Thanks

Would you go to a school you'd be happier at or one that's ranked much higher. The difference being a top 5 school or a 40 - 60 school.
 
I would go to the school that's most convenient or the school that you can get out of most cheaply. I.e. lowest tuition or most scholarships. Most students get 1-3 mo of radiology, and that's it, so what difference would it make to programs where you did that?

I went to a low-tier school (in NIH funding) & got many top interviews. The chief factors determining the odds of matching at a highly competitive specialty are listed in "Charting Outcomes in the Match." Top 50 vs. non-Top 50 NIH funded schools is not a significant determinant. What you do--USMLE 1 & 2 & AOA--is far more important than where you went to school.

Note: A possible exception being if you know you want to live in California & do residency there. In that case, I would still go to the cheapest/most convenient place, just in CA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.