Does "recommend" mean "required?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.

Members don't see this ad.

For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.
How many schools actually require a biochemistry lab and not just the course? I know more and more are requiring the course, but I don't think I saw any requiring the lab when looking at the pre-reqs for where I applied

Last edited:
One of the ADCOMs here was quoted as saying they listed a bunch of recommended courses because AAMC "gave them a lot of boxes to check."

If it's not required, they don't care if you take it. Getting an A in some very difficult upper division courses can look good on an application though.