Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.

rocklobstr

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.
How many schools actually require a biochemistry lab and not just the course? I know more and more are requiring the course, but I don't think I saw any requiring the lab when looking at the pre-reqs for where I applied

Last edited:

Azete

2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
One of the ADCOMs here was quoted as saying they listed a bunch of recommended courses because AAMC "gave them a lot of boxes to check."

If it's not required, they don't care if you take it. Getting an A in some very difficult upper division courses can look good on an application though.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
From the viewpoint that each school's application pool is highly competitive, having a recommended course maybe helpful. But as been said previously in this thread, it is a very minor impact. Many of the nontrad/nonbio majors who get accepted wouldn't have taken Biochem Lab.

Reactions: Goro