Does "recommend" mean "required?"

Started by 040111333
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

040111333

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.
 
For those medical schools that recommend Biochemistry lab, will I be at a disadvantage, get screened out or marked with a red flag if I don't take this class in undergrad? I've already taken the normal Biochemistry lecture component...but just want to know if a "recommendation" are med schools' way of implying that it is basically required.
How many schools actually require a biochemistry lab and not just the course? I know more and more are requiring the course, but I don't think I saw any requiring the lab when looking at the pre-reqs for where I applied
 
Last edited:
One of the ADCOMs here was quoted as saying they listed a bunch of recommended courses because AAMC "gave them a lot of boxes to check."

If it's not required, they don't care if you take it. Getting an A in some very difficult upper division courses can look good on an application though.