Does reputation matter for specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tensa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
First post in this part of the SDN dental forum. I recently gained admission to several dental schools (all of them non-ivy schools, class of 2018) but I'm having a difficult time choosing between 3 of them. I don't know yet if I want to specialize; however, I want to keep the option open.

I need some true and honest advice from current dental students. Does the reputation of the dental school you went to for the DDS/DMD matter when specializing?

Members don't see this ad.

go to the cheapest without a doubt...prestige of a school has very little if anything to do with specializing. Grades, board scores which may be going to pass/fail now, research, reputation with faculty(letters of recommendation), and extracurricular activities makes the biggest difference to get an interview somewhere. Once you get the interview its all about personality and how you fit in

How much you enjoy the school, the city, and the cost of attendance + living should be your primary concerns when choosing a school. Nobody cares which school you went to, it won't help you gain entrance into a residency (though there are a few schools historically strong in placing students in residencies). What matters most is grades since boards are now P/F.