does research make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of an upper hand do you get with research during medical school when matching in internal medicine? if it helps your application, how is clinical research weighted in comparison to basic science? i really enjoy research but i just wanted to know how much it helps. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think research is required but I think it has definitely helped me. I did some research in undergrad and during med school with some publications (including first author) and presentations at conferences. I started interviewing last week and I had an interviewer tell me that they were impressed with how much research I had done and that he usually doesn't see that much before residency. I take everything with a grain of salt, however, because I realize that they are trying to sell themselves to me as well during the interview. In my opinion, research is one part of your application that can help set you apart from other applicants. It will never hurt you.

My opinion on this subject is limited, but my each interviewer thus far has asked about or commented on my research. Certainly not a requirement, but an important part of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maya_RS said:
I don't think research is required but I think it has definitely helped me. I did some research in undergrad and during med school with some publications (including first author) and presentations at conferences. I started interviewing last week and I had an interviewer tell me that they were impressed with how much research I had done and that he usually doesn't see that much before residency. I take everything with a grain of salt, however, because I realize that they are trying to sell themselves to me as well during the interview. In my opinion, research is one part of your application that can help set you apart from other applicants. It will never hurt you.

If you don't mind me asking, Maya, where have you gotten interviews?

cubby said:
My opinion on this subject is limited, but my each interviewer thus far has asked about or commented on my research. Certainly not a requirement, but an important part of the application.
Same question to you too cubby, where have you gotten interviews (if you don't mind)? thanks.

I'm interviewing/have interviewed at Johns Hopkins, Mass General, Stanford, Mayo, Michigan, Beth Israel Deaconess, Virginia, UNC, UPenn, Yale, Boston U, Dartmouth, Brown, there may be a couple more I forgot.

cubby said:
I'm interviewing/have interviewed at Johns Hopkins, Mass General, Stanford, Mayo, Michigan, Beth Israel Deaconess, Virginia, UNC, UPenn, Yale, Boston U, Dartmouth, Brown, there may be a couple more I forgot.
can you give more stats like time spent on research, # publications, desire to pursue academic medicine, and the general, board score, medcine rotation grade, and are you at a top 10 school.

cubby said:
pretty impressive. So back to one of my original questions, did you do clinical or basic science? does it really matter which one? and i am also curious to know how many publications and in which research category (clinical vs basic). thanks for your help.

I may not be the best guy to respond to your questions as I don't have typical "research experience"--mine was neither clinical nor basic science research. I did "population research" among a specific population of people and characterized their health background and health care utilization. It ended up being quite interesting, led to a paper in a non-prestigious journal, and won a couple of fairly prestigious research awards at my school. So I feel fortunate to have been asked about it in interviews--I guess because it isn't bread-n-butter research experience and also has a service component to it. I don't think it matters whether or not you do basic science or clinical research--find something that is interesting to you and that you won't mind dedicating time to. Then link up with a research mentor (I think this is the most important thing!) that #1 cares about students and student interests and #2 can help get you where you want to go. Though research is certainly part of the complete package, I think academic and clinical performance along with letters of rec are the major determinants by far in getting desirable interviews. To answer your other Q's, I do not go to a top-10 medical school, am not AOA, got a 240 on Step I, and got a perfect score on the medicine rotation. Best wishes to you!

I don't think it matters whether or not you do basic science or clinical research--find something that is interesting to you and that you won't mind dedicating time to. Then link up with a research mentor (I think this is the most important thing!) that #1 cares about students and student interests and #2 can help get you where you want to go.

Thanks for the reply. I think # 1 and #2 hit it right on the head. :)

whispers said:
I don't think it matters whether or not you do basic science or clinical research--find something that is interesting to you and that you won't mind dedicating time to. Then link up with a research mentor (I think this is the most important thing!) that #1 cares about students and student interests and #2 can help get you where you want to go.

Thanks for the reply. I think # 1 and #2 hit it right on the head. :)
And don't be too modest! On re-reading how I described my research, I really downplayed my accomplishments so as not to be too lengthy. I made it sound as though I contributed nothing. Walk the fine line between arrogance and this.