Do PDs have different research # expectations for AMGs vs IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon12380

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am reviewing various fellowship pages and checking out their fellow's research profiles (Researchgate, Google Scholar, Pubmed, JACC, etc.), I find that IMGs have what seems to be triple to quadruple the research #s than AMGs. Not all the time but enough that it stands out. I am saying this as someone who did not match this past year and considering a Chief resident position but I wonder if it's even worth it? I got only 4 interviews despite applying to like 100 places. I have a lot of abstracts but mostly in general medicine conferences. My program has an in-house cardiology but not great mentorship and even less research activity :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cards gets the cream of the crop of the FMGs as it’s the highest paying specialty that you can back door in from Medicine (can’t match directly to ortho, etc).

unfortunately with a one year time frame jumping into research probably won’t have the biggest ROI for you. I guess I would do the chief year and just hope you can make some connections that way. If you’re not feeling like you’re making any progress there a few months in then consider other career paths. With that said It’s still pretty random.

Good luck-

Where is chief resident position. If your home Institution then it can improve your chances at your in house program Which is where you have best chance. cardiology is a competitive field and IMGs at a disadvantage so naturally the bestof best will match. Research is practical means to make IMGs stand out.