Does shadowing require an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caviar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've been shadowing this cardio-cath lab doctor for three weeks now and he's been trying to get me into this hospital's system through the volunteer program. I was only shooting for 40 hours of shadowing but the application asks for a 100 hour commitment to the hospital, a TB test and some inoculation. Is all this really necessary to shadow him when all I really wanna do is observe?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can always ditch the hospital after. I mean, after all, you're there for the doctor, not the hospital. Although, it'd probably be a good idea to finish those 100 hours just to pad your resume.

Just do it, and ditch after you're done.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Forty hours with one specialty should be enough. Then it's time to move on and shadow someone else. They may want you to complete the paperwork for liability reasons. You can always alter the contract (cross out 100 and fill in 40, then initial the change). You're going to need the TB skin test wherever you volunteer and you'll need Hep B vaccinations for med school (and some volunteering), so you might as well get that done anyway. My local hospital also requires a chickenpox titer to volunteer.

Forty hours with one specialty should be enough. Then it's time to move on and shadow someone else. They may want you to complete the paperwork for liability reasons. You can always alter the contract (cross out 100 and fill in 40, then initial the change). You're going to need the TB skin test wherever you volunteer and you'll need Hep B vaccinations for med school (and some volunteering), so you might as well get that done anyway. My local hospital also requires a chickenpox titer to volunteer.

I agree. I think it is more for liability/administrative things. Get the tests done so that you can keep observing the doctor if you care to do so. I can't imagine they can do to much to you if you bail before completing 100 hours of volunteer service.