Does SMDEP increase your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadinex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I participated in one of the SMDEP programs and I understand it's one of the programs under AAMC...
Hence, does it increase your chances of getting accepted to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a nice extracurricular, but I don't know if there are any statistics that really show it helping a candidate significantly.

66% of students matriculate, which is much higher than the norm. Also, a large number of the programs are held at very good medical centers. I did SMDEP and was welcomed back to do research the next year. Also, it looks great on applications because you get clinical experience too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much every candidate I know who participated in SMDEP and was serious about medical school (good grades, decent MCAT, decent ECs) was accepted on the first attempt. I think it does help.

66% of students matriculate, which is much higher than the norm. Also, a large number of the programs are held at very good medical centers. I did SMDEP and was welcomed back to do research the next year. Also, it looks great on applications because you get clinical experience too.

Not really convinced this has to do with SMDEP but that the general population attending SMDEP probably know what they're doing. I mean I'd be interested in seeing someone do a regression analysis of this, but until then I don't think it's going to be anymore significant than spending your summer doing research and a hobby.

I did SMDEP at Duke; trust me its a lot more than doing research and a hobby.

I participated in one of the SMDEP programs and I understand it's one of the programs under AAMC...
Hence, does it increase your chances of getting accepted to medical school?
It gets your foot and name through the door, if any. There's great opportunity to do networking along with research and etc. Also, when it comes time for applications and interview(s), they'll most likely remember you.