Does state residence influence whether you get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this. If, let's say, I'm an Illinois resident, will I have more success getting interviews at Illinois state schools than out-of-state applicants? Or, is the process residence-blind until the schools start making final cuts? How does this process work. Please explain.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most public state schools will only seriously consider in-state residents for interviews and admission. The percentage of in-state residents at particular schools varies, but I think it generally is somewhere between 75-95%. So, yes, you should have a much better chance at getting interviews at the Illinois state schools than out-of-state residents. However, that's assuming that your stats are in line with their averages, and the rest of your application is "competitive."

Cali students have a notorious reputation for trekking the country ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
At Uw-Madison, residents get more interviews that out-of-staters. At SIU School of Medicine (carbondale/springfield), they interview 2 people or less from out-of-state - and no one from out-of-state gets admitted (Given that, I don't know why they interview people from out-of-state). State residency - at least in WI - seems to play a big role in whether you will get an interview.

But don't get me started on UW-Madison. I don't know about other states, but I would guess about the same thing. I think it is similar for Iowa, as I have heard.

It depends on the state in questions (sorry, I don't know the specifics for Illinois).

Since state schools are state-funded, being a resident will confer some kind of preferential treatment, and yes, it does come into play when your application is reviewed initially (i.e. before interview.)

The question is, how much preferential treatment do you get? Some state schools will not even consider applications from out-of-state students. Other schools have a substantial number of out-of-state students.

The MSAR should give you the information you need. Alternatively, check out the USNews rankings:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm

Click on a school you're interested in. That will open a page with summary information about the school. At the top of the page is something that says "More on this School" in red. Select "Admissions" and it will give you the number of applicants/interviewed/accepted/enrolled for both in-state and out-of state.

What if your science GPA is a little below average..say a 3.3. Will that GPA garner looks from Illinois state schools? I haven't taken the MCAT, but I expect to score around the national average. I think that's a reasonal estimation of my test-taking abilities. Also, being that I'm from southern Illinois, SIU is my top choice. What would you say my chances are for an interview?

What region of Illinois are you from? I think that SIU takes preferences for students in a certain region, and if you happen to be living in that area you will have greater advantages than other students. That doesn't necessarily mean that the standards for admission are less rigorous for your case; the GPA and MCAT averages are still quite high and will definitely play as major factors in selection process.

Good luck.

Atlas,

If you are indeed from southern Illinois (Champaign/Urbana or further south), your GPA should make you competitive for an interview at SIU. They are very strict on who they interview, and very few Chicago/Suburban applicants get interviewed--SIU does a good job of recruiting and accepting only residents from the southern half of the state.

goodluck,
poohbear

For some basic information about mean GPA and MCAT scores, and the number of applicants vs. acceptees, check out the "Application Process" page. For information about how they pick the lucky 72 members of their entering class, look at the "Requirements & Selection Factors" page:

Click on the link below, then select "Admissions" from the sidebar.

http://www.siumed.edu/students/index.html

Because I am a Southern Illinois resident, will my residence in the southern part of the state affect my chances at schools in Chicago?

I've visited SIU's website many times and even have materials they sent via postal mail. I love the school! I'm familiar with their requirements and selection procedures. My overall GPA is ~3.6 and my science is around a 3.3 or 3.4. SIU IS my top chioce, but I also like U of I and the Chicago schools. Do you think I'm game for interviews at the Chicago schools too, or do they normally attract more superior applicants from Chicagoland. Is being from Southern Illinois going to affect my interview chances at Chicago schools?

Originally posted by Atlas:
•What if your science GPA is a little below average..say a 3.3. Will that GPA garner looks from Illinois state schools? I haven't taken the MCAT, but I expect to score around the national average. I think that's a reasonal estimation of my test-taking abilities. Also, being that I'm from southern Illinois, SIU is my top choice. What would you say my chances are for an interview?•

I dont know about Illinois, but you might want to shoot for a bit above the national average on the MCAT a 3.3 and a 24 wont do much for you - aim for high 20s, at least!

good luck,
Star

I love SIU school of MEd. Unfortuneatly, I am a WI resident. I've done research there, know quite a few profs, ect, ect - in fact, two profs at SIUSM wrote me recommendations for other med schools.

Being from South Illinois will probably not hurt you - a friend from southern Ill (I think Macomb) got into U of Ill on his first try.

However, a GPA of 3.3 with a good MCAT score should make you competitive for SIU. I highly recommend the school, as well as the U of Ill schools.

I meant I hope to score around the average MCAT of those accepted which is ~ 30. Sorry for the confusion.

Atlas-

I too am from downstate and have a GPA very similar to yours. SIU is also among my top choices.

I am a non-trad applicant and took the MCAT this April so I'll let you know how it goes! :eek:

Spang,

Please let me know how it goes! Good luck! What do you expect to get on the MCAT? PLus, do you feel confident about getting an interview there? SIU is the school for me. I hope to go there someday. What other schools are you applying to?

Twister,

I think Macomb is in the northern part of the state. That's where the RAMS have there training camp and stuff. I sure hope what you say is the case. I really want to stay in state. As far as I can tell, I should be ok for SIU and U of I as far as getting interviews. I'm a little leary of the Chicago schools, though. I'm not sure I'll get much love from them. No worries yet, though...I still have 2 years of school to go and plenty of science classes left to raise my sci. GPA. Thanks again

Atlas

P.S. When schools refer to "GPA", do they mean the overall GPA or science GPA? I sure hope it's the overall because that's my stronger GPA. Thanks again

Atlas,

I checked. He went to Macomb for his MA degree, but he was from a little town in southern Illinois. Also, I talked with a current med student from Belleville (which is practically in Missouri!).

If you want (or if anyone wants), I will be headed there in less than a month, and if anyone has specific questions, I would be happy to ask around and try to find answers. Just email me privately, though.

So your friend went to Western Illinois for his masters? That's cool. I'm from Belleville too! It's a small world. Where is this med student at..SIU? If I have any questions I'll try to email you. Thanks again.