Does step 2 scores need to be in to be ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCOM_Rocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on retaking step 2CK in Jan or Feb because I failed it by 1 point in Sept. I am appyling to psych. Will programs not rank me without a qualiying score?

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM_Rocks said:
I plan on retaking step 2CK in Jan or Feb because I failed it by 1 point in Sept. I am appyling to psych. Will programs not rank me without a qualiying score?

depends on if you are a US MD, IMG or DO so check with the NRMP. i know as an IMG if i don't have passing scores on all of my exams by rank order day i am withdrawn from the match. US allopathic seniors do not have to have everything passed until graduation. i don't know about DO's.

some programs may also have internal requirements for passing scores by rank day, but this will vary. so, there is no hard rule. i doubt that most of them require it.

PCOM_Rocks said:

Let me guess. You fell for all that BS about it being "easy", didn't you? You should know better by now. ;)

Don't worry. You don't need it to be ranked. You just need to pass it before graduation. Most people at my school take it at the end of the year - long after match day. Good luck. :)

I'd say that it depends on the program. Some require that you have a passing score before being ranked. The reason being that they don't want to sign someone, only to have the person fail the Step right before they're supposed to start internship. The program is then down one intern until that person passes.

A faculty member at OU anesthesia told me that even with my Step I score (250+) I would need to pass Step II to be ranked.

This is currently being discussed on the EM forum.

According to the dean at our school (allopathic) many programs are now requiring you to have successfully PASSED step 2 CS exam prior to being ranked.

I have personally talked to an EM PD and she is in agreement with that. Many programs are fearful that you may not pass the CS exam prior to starting intership after you've signed a contract.

Many people are moving up their CS dates so as to have a score by Feb/March.

Not trying to be an alarmest, but others in the EM forum also agree from various areas in the country and have heard similar things.

So, make sure you call your programs NOW and ask if they require step 2 CS prior to being ranked. It is happening now.

later

Yeah, this guy told me he didnt care what my score was, as long as it was passing. While I dont believe 100% of that, it makes more sense than waiting to decide whether Im good enough until after I take Step II.

I moved up my Step 2 CK and CS from Feb/March to Nov/Dec so the results will be sure to be in by rank day (Feb. 22, 2006). It seems more and more programs (in Emergency Medicine at least) are requiring passage of both before they will rank you.

Good luck everyone!

-Scott, MS4

stw2361 said:
I moved up my Step 2 CK and CS from Feb/March to Nov/Dec so the results will be sure to be in by rank day (Feb. 22, 2006). It seems more and more programs (in Emergency Medicine at least) are requiring passage of both before they will rank you.

Good luck everyone!

-Scott, MS4

exactly! Many people at my school are doing this as well..

i'd find out from your programs folks. just to be on the safe side.

I'm talking about CS

later

Just FYI folks.

In the EM forum a program director in EM from Texas Tech responded to having your CS exam passed before he'll rank you and yes it is for real.

You need to check your programs to see if they will rank you if you haven't passed CS yet. The list of programs is growing.

good luck all!

later

12R34Y said:
exactly! Many people at my school are doing this as well..

i'd find out from your programs folks. just to be on the safe side.

I'm talking about CS

later

What?! I've looked on all my programs' websites and they do not say anything about needing Step 2 scores to match--well, one mentions submitting CK scores, and of course several others remind you that you need to pass CK/CS prior to starting residency to eventually be licensed in their state.

I think it would be out of the question for a program to change their published requirements this late in the process, when it may be very difficult and costly for people to change their CS dates. In fact, there probably aren't enough CS testing times to accomodate EVERYBODY trying to sueeze it in by January.

The only programs requiring CS for ranking are Psych programs. Go figure. Very few (if any) programs are requiring CK passing for ranking. Relax guys. :cool:

Casey James said:
The only programs requiring CS for ranking are Psych programs. Go figure. Very few (if any) programs are requiring CK passing for ranking. Relax guys. :cool:

Hi Casey, I actually just contacted a bunch of programs (psych) and they DO NOT require that you have passed CS prior to RANKING - only prior to start date.

Hopefully this goes for the other specialties as well!

EDIT: I also wanted to add as the last poster stated, please DO CHECK WHERE YOU APPLIED DON'T COUNT ON TEH FORUM FOR INFORMATION! And, I also wanted to add, that a program I contacted after typing this message DID SAY they REQUIRE THE STEP 2 CS FOR FMG/IMG'S just so you know, so depending on your status, pleae check the schools directly!

PCOM_Rocks said:

Hi PCOM, I just replied above ^ but i also wanted to add to your original question, although the programs (I'm applying to psych too) told me they don't require the step 2 cs, they said they DID require the step 2 CK for ranking - I hope this helps! Perhaps you can get it bumped up to a Nov test date so the score will be in?

Good luck!

Poety :)

Guys,

there are several Emergency medicine programs requiring it. don't think you can make blanket statements like "only psych programs".

just call and check your individual programs to be on the safe side because I have now heard several EM programs and one IM program.

later

12R34Y said:
Guys,

there are several Emergency medicine programs requiring it. don't think you can make blanket statements like "only psych programs".

just call and check your individual programs to be on the safe side because I have now heard several EM programs and one IM program.

later

Wait, you're talking about CS??? :eek:

BTW I heard something interesting about the CS exam from one of the staff members at the Dean's office here (not exactly an official source so take this with a pinch of salt). But apparantly the CS exam is relatively easy this year so they can run through the system and iron out any glitches. The word is that next year they're going to start making it harder. It seems they intend as promised to enforce a fairly steep fail rate (15% or so) which they have not done this year. In any case, I'd advise folks to take it sooner rather than later before this thing grows some teeth.

-casey

Casey James said:

BTW I heard something interesting about the CS exam from one of the staff members at the Dean's office here (not exactly an official source so take this with a pinch of salt). But apparantly the CS exam is relatively easy this year so they can run through the system and iron out any glitches. The word is that next year they're going to start making it harder. It seems they intend as promised to enforce a fairly steep fail rate (15% or so) which they have not done this year. In any case, I'd advise folks to take it sooner rather than later before this thing grows some teeth

-casey

yes, i am talking about CS exam NOT CK.

programs are requiring CS to be passed prior to ranking you i march.

CHECK YOUR PROGRAMS!

later guys and good luck,

Casey James said:

BTW I heard something interesting about the CS exam from one of the staff members at the Dean's office here (not exactly an official source so take this with a pinch of salt). But apparantly the CS exam is relatively easy this year so they can run through the system and iron out any glitches. The word is that next year they're going to start making it harder. It seems they intend as promised to enforce a fairly steep fail rate (15% or so) which they have not done this year. In any case, I'd advise folks to take it sooner rather than later before this thing grows some teeth.

-casey

I don't know about 15%, but they'll certainly start making it harder because people are going to start figuring out exactly how it is graded, and the 3% fail rate (for US students) will start to look more like 0%. And they can't have that, because it would imply that the test is without merit. Which, of course, is true. I bet the fail rate for CS will eventually settle around 7-8%.

sacrament said:
I don't know about 15%, but they'll certainly start making it harder because people are going to start figuring out exactly how it is graded, and the 3% fail rate (for US students) will start to look more like 0%. And they can't have that, because it would imply that the test is without merit. Which, of course, is true. I bet the fail rate for CS will eventually settle around 7-8%.

That parallels the CSA, which started with a 3% fail rate, and has bumped to 20%. Otherwise, as you say, the test is without merit (which, of course, is true).

Why hasnt anyone sued over this yet? I would, for sure, if I were forced to go back to Philly, retest, and risk not matching just because of an arbitrary failure rate in an already extremely subjective test.

Idiopathic said:
Why hasnt anyone sued over this yet? I would, for sure, if I were forced to go back to Philly, retest, and risk not matching just because of an arbitrary failure rate in an already extremely subjective test.

Just so people are aware, I have been informed from one program that with all things being equal with another applicant, having taken and passed the step 2 cs portion will be an ADVANTAGE on match day - other programs have said they don't consider it all - it seems to be a bit random on who wants to see it, and who uses it for the rank and who doesn't.

Good luck eveyrone.

Poety said:
Just so people are aware, I have been informed from one program that with all things being equal with another applicant, having taken and passed the step 2 cs portion will be an ADVANTAGE on match day - other programs have said they don't consider it all - it seems to be a bit random on who wants to see it, and who uses it for the rank and who doesn't.

Good luck eveyrone.

I would venture to guess that the less competitive programs are pickier about having the step 2 cs score by rank time.

Broken Ankles said:
I would venture to guess that the less competitive programs are pickier about having the step 2 cs score by rank time.

thank you for that advice, I didn't know why some did and some didn't! Hopefully some won't that I'm interviewing at, but then again I don't know what the competitive residencies are in psych - :scared:

Poety said:
thank you for that advice, I didn't know why some did and some didn't! Hopefully some won't that I'm interviewing at, but then again I don't know what the competitive residencies are in psych - :scared:

from my limited experience, the programs that required the step 2 cs stated that fact on the interview invitation.

Broken Ankles said:
from my limited experience, the programs that required the step 2 cs stated that fact on the interview invitation.

good to know broken, thanks so much! :)

Broken Ankles said:

Not always true though! Some EM programs did not state in their invitation!

Casey James said:
Let me guess. You fell for all that BS about it being "easy", didn't you? You should know better by now. ;)

Don't worry. You don't need it to be ranked. You just need to pass it before graduation. Most people at my school take it at the end of the year - long after match day. Good luck. :)

Hi a question about this reply.... granted most people take step 2 after ranking and match at ur school, but I heard that most residency prefer to have step 2 scores in to review, doesn't this setup act unfavorably to u guys?