Does Step II forgive Step I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iradi8u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a die-hard radonc wannabe, but my step I was right at average. My step II, on the other hand, was well above average. Will programs forgive my step I in light of my step II and the fact that I have strong LORs and radonc research? Or is this likely to be a huge stumbling block for me?

any advice will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the answer to your question is complex.

I would have to say "YES, BUT . . . "

Yes a Step II > Step I helps, but many programs use Step I screens. In other words, no matter how strong an application you have otherwise, it may not reach a PDs hands. However, there is still reason to be optimistic. Many programs (mine included) have a policiy not to use screens and will look through each and every application. This way a committee member is more likely to give you points for Step II improvement in addition to appreciating your strong LORs and radonc reasearch.

I would encourage you to apply broadly b/c programs are not exactly upfront about their application procedures.

I believe the answer to your question is complex.

I would have to say "YES, BUT . . . "

Yes a Step II > Step I helps, but many programs use Step I screens. In other words, no matter how strong an application you have otherwise, it may not reach a PDs hands. However, there is still reason to be optimistic. Many programs (mine included) have a policiy not to use screens and will look through each and every application. This way a committee member is more likely to give you points for Step II improvement in addition to appreciating your strong LORs and radonc reasearch.

I would encourage you to apply broadly b/c programs are not exactly upfront about their application procedures.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it!

Do you know which programs are most likely to look at the package deal?