Does the '10 yr moratorium' apply in my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if the section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act (commonly referred to as the '10 year moratorium') apply to me.

I never thought much about it since I thought it only applied to International students, but I've heard different things and even the official govt websites aren't 100% clear on this. Wrote to them but haven't heard back.

My educational/immigration history

- NZ citizen since 1997
- came to Australia January 2001
- began science degree 2001
- became Australian citizen 2003
- completed science degree 2004
- enrolled in USYD graduate medicine 2005
- began internship in Sydney 2009

Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

No it shouldn't. It would seem you got your citizenship/PR before you got into medicine. If you are in any doubt visit the AGPT website and follow the guideline on the 10 year moratorium.

It's official and will give you an answer pretty quickly.

Thanks.

I'm still waiting on an e-mail answer from the official sources, but it sounds like it depends on whether someone was an a temporary visa or not at the time of commencing medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

I'm still waiting on an e-mail answer from the official sources, but it sounds like it depends on whether someone was an a temporary visa or not at the time of commencing medical school.

that is true that if one was on a temporary visa when commencing med studies they'd would have to serve the 10 years. you timelines says you got citizenship before med studies so i dont see how it matters. if you were an Aus citizen/PR before you started studying medicine, it doesnt apply.