Does the AACOM academic year begin with Fall or Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot find any information about this on the AACOM Liason site. I know for AMCAS, the academic year begins with summer, but I cannot for the life of me find any info for AACOMAS.

A 2006 thread says it begins with summer, but a 2020 thread says it begins with fall... so, for those who submitted/got verified, did you put summer classes as the beginning or end of an academic year?

e.g. if the classes are taken in 2017 after junior year but before the senior year begins, do you classify it as 2017 Junior or 2017 Senior?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How does your registrar classify that summer course (copy everything identically from your official transcript)? Does your transcript list the summer course as Summer 2016 or Summer 2017? Most undergraduate institutions don't consider the summer as beginning the academic year, but I'd check with them. It's intriguing that AMCAS does start with the summer as many medical schools begin their programs in what would be the summer term at their institutions. I would also think there are DO schools that also begin as early as late June too.

Reactions: 1 user
How does your registrar classify that summer course (copy everything identically from your official transcript)? Does your transcript list the summer course as Summer 2016 or Summer 2017? Most undergraduate institutions don't consider the summer as beginning the academic year, but I'd check with them. It's intriguing that AMCAS does start with the summer as many medical schools begin their programs in what would be the summer term at their institutions. I would also think there are DO schools that also begin as early as late June too.

The transcript simply states:

Summer 2017

Class, Grade

The institution the classes were taken at does classify summer as the end of an academic year, so I guess it's best to just classify it as that.

Reactions: 1 users