Does the DO's profession matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am about to get a letter from a DO who is a radiology resident in Chicago. He graduated from CCOM last year and is a pretty nice guy. Does it matter if I get a letter from a radiologist rather than one who is an attending doctor in the ER? Do schools consider the profession of the doctor from whom an LOR is obtained? THanks.

Members don't see this ad.

im sure it doesnt matter. are you saying that an attending is better than a radiologist or holds more credibility with regard to LOR's?

Hello,
I am about to get a letter from a DO who is a radiology resident in Chicago. He graduated from CCOM last year and is a pretty nice guy. Does it matter if I get a letter from a radiologist rather than one who is an attending doctor in the ER? Do schools consider the profession of the doctor from whom an LOR is obtained? THanks.

I don't think that the field in which the physician specializes matters. The most important thing is that it is a strong letter in support of you. That is, in my opinion, what schools will place their focus on.

This is debatable, but I suspect that a LOR from an attending physician might have a bit more weight than a LOR from a resident. I am obviously not an adcomm member, so I can't speak definitively about this subject. I'm just presenting conjecture. I recall this being discussed previously in another thread. It's great following a resident around, but personally, I would get a LOR from an attending, if possible. However, again, I would think the most important thing is that it is a strong letter in support of you.