Does the field of your letter writers matter much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheyf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 4 letters uploaded to ERAS currently, with another being written and hopefully uploaded before ERAS is submitted. Of the 4, 2 are radiology, 1 is a vascular surgeon, and the last is by my family medicine preceptor that I worked with everyday 8-6 for 6 weeks. The last letter that hasn't been uploaded yet is by a cardiologist. I am considering switching out the letter by my family med doc for the cardiology letter. Do you guys think it really even matters which field the letter is from as long as it's a strong letter? I suspect they are both recommend me equally.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have 4 letters uploaded to ERAS currently, with another being written and hopefully uploaded before ERAS is submitted. Of the 4, 2 are radiology, 1 is a vascular surgeon, and the last is by my family medicine preceptor that I worked with everyday 8-6 for 6 weeks. The last letter that hasn't been uploaded yet is by a cardiologist. I am considering switching out the letter by my family med doc for the cardiology letter. Do you guys think it really even matters which field the letter is from as long as it's a strong letter? I suspect they are both recommend me equally.

Thanks!

It only matters that not more than 2 are radiology. The program is looking for evidence that you have good clinical acumen, that you work hard, and that you're a team player. Choose whomever can attest to those questions.