Does the grade "P" looks bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about declaring Pass-fail for my level I spanish class. I simply can't devote time to get an A.
I can at least get B+ or A- though.

Members don't see this ad.

Mkay, kinda a dumb question but I'll answer it anyway.

When you send your grades off to evaluators they will automatically convert A- to A and B+ to B because nto all schools use the +/- system so they even it out.

Now, having said that in a spanish course, or pretty much any course for that matter A > B > P

When you send your grades off to evaluators they will automatically convert A- to A and B+ to B because nto all schools use the +/- system so they even it out.

Now, having said that in a spanish course, or pretty much any course for that matter A > B > P

huh?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I wrong there? I was under the impression that when AMCAS calculates your GPA an A- or an A+ are simply an A, for example.

Regardless, A > B > P still :D

???

I was thinking... "P" won't affect your GPA at all. If I get an A-/B+, it will slightly drop my GPA. If one P doesn't look bad, I might as well do it 'cause I am very busy with my other science courses, job and volunteering.

Am I wrong there? I was under the impression that when AMCAS calculates your GPA an A- or an A+ are simply an A, for example.

Regardless, A > B > P still :D

AMCAS counts A- and B+ if your school hands them out. Theycount as 3.7 and 3.3 respectively.

???

I was thinking... "P" won't affect your GPA at all. If I get an A-/B+, it will slightly drop my GPA. If one P doesn't look bad, I might as well do it 'cause I am very busy with my other science courses, job and volunteering.

Okay, sorry, I thougt you were just being a smartass asking one of those questions.

I doubt it'll make a huge difference, but taking a class for P may appear as a copout. If you think you can get an A- I wouldn't even consider taking a P. But that's me...****, wtf do I know? I'm not gonna be interviewing you. :D

The only way a P would look bad is if your transcript is loaded w/ other P's w/ some W's & C-'s thrown in for 'good measure.' Lots of those kind of letters make an otherwise good transcript look questionable. For example, a number of weeks ago, I saw a person who had a 3.5 or so but they had somewhere around 6 W's, 2-3 C's, 2-3 P's...you kind of begin to wonder how long it took them to finish college or what they did to bump up their GPA w/ that kind of thing.

I am thinking about declaring Pass-fail for my level I spanish class. I simply can't devote time to get an A.

I took both my Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 pass/fail and it was fine.:luck:

Why are you taking Spanish? If English is not your native language I thought you could get the language requirement waived by demonstrating proficiency in another language. That is the way it was at my school.

I don't think that is true because I had a C- in Physics 2 class (3 credits) and a B in the lab (1 credit). They were a few schools that I applied to that had a C as the cut-off for prereq classes and I had an issue with them. I thought that they might combine the class and lab or just use the C since many schools don't have the lab and class separate or use +/-, but it didn't work out that way. Sorry.:luck:

if you're asked about it, just say that you just wanted to take the class(es) for the experience at learning some spanish, not because you wanted the grade on your transcript, and you did it because you feel it will help you interact with your future spanish speaking patients better... ;)

ummm..unless you have a 3.7 or higher gpa then an A- is going to help your gpa so why wouldnt you take it. Even if the grade drops to a B it probably won't hurt your gpa significantly.

Also if for some reason an admissions committee is looking at your transcripts and sees that you took all graded classes except one in spanish, I promise you that they'll assume you did much worse than a A-/B+. But its spanish so they probably won't care anyways...i got a B- and a C+ in it and i still got in!...barely

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6672

I have 3.9 GPA and it will hurt me if i get A-.
By the way, I declare Pass/fail today 'cause I just got my final schedule and found out that I will be having 5 tests in 4 days.

I will feel bad if the spanish tests are really easy. lol

I have 3.9 GPA and it will hurt me if i get A-.
By the way, I declare Pass/fail today 'cause I just got my final schedule and found out that I will be having 5 tests in 4 days.

I will feel bad if the spanish tests are really easy. lol

I have no basis on this statement as far as med school admissions go...but from a practicality let me just strongly recommend you take the grade. No one in their right mind will think differently of you if you have a 3.89 or a 3.9, however a pass/fail course is really going to stick out on an otherwise exemplary transcript.

Something definately sounds strange about this post. If you really had a 3.9 you would have posted this on the pre-allopathic forum! (hah...im seriously just joking...im sure theres plenty of 3.9'ers in osteopathic schools...plz dont yell at me...it hurts my feelings!)

I have no basis on this statement as far as med school admissions go...but from a practicality let me just strongly recommend you take the grade. No one in their right mind will think differently of you if you have a 3.89 or a 3.9, however a pass/fail course is really going to stick out on an otherwise exemplary transcript.

Something definately sounds strange about this post. If you really had a 3.9 you would have posted this on the pre-allopathic forum! (hah...im seriously just joking...im sure theres plenty of 3.9'ers in osteopathic schools...plz dont yell at me...it hurts my feelings!)

I am truely 3.9.

Anyway, I doubt anyone will think of me differently just because of one single P. Besides, I have already declared it. :D