Does the interview date matter for the spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a really quick question! I got an invitation to an interview and the dates offered are
8/5/16
8/12/16
8/25/16
Does it matter which date I pick for the interview? Like would it be better if I pick August 5 over the 25th? I wanted to pick the 25th because it would be cheaper for me and money is tight but do I have a better chance picking August 5th? Please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think earlier is always better, but this early in the cycle, it is extremely unlikely that you'd be in danger of the class being full prior to 8/25.

Reactions: 1 users
I think earlier is always better, but this early in the cycle, it is extremely unlikely that you'd be in danger of the class being full prior to 8/25.
So I have a better chance going in early?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a better chance going in early?
If you were posting this comparing a date at the end of August to a date in October, I would say yes because the class is more likely to be full towards the end of October. However, I doubt that's a serious concern comparing dates 3 weeks apart in August. The advantage is pretty minimal at this point, so do what works best for you.

frankly speaking, if you pick 8/5 over 8/25, i dont think that will be the reason why you would get rejected. therefore, go with 8/25, the cheaper option. the fact that you received ii this early is a GOOD sign and 20 days will not jeopardize your spot at medical school if you interview well.

I think you are safe to choose any date between June and November without suffering any noticeable reprucussions. It is around December and onward when the classes are getting closer to filling up. I was in the very last interview group at my top choice and was graciously accepted almost a month later. In August, the dates do not matter. Go the cheaper route.

Early can be better in that you might get an acceptance earlier so it makes the rest of the cycle much less stressful. I got the call the week after my interview, so it made life soooo much more relaxed. Any August date would be fine though as seats will be open.

Good luck

August 5 vs December 5 vs April 5 would make a difference. August 5 vs August 25 is unlikely to matter, especially since both are very early for DO schools. Take the later one and save your money.

It's like presentations in classes for me: the earlier you go, the less they have to compare you to. That's just me though.

Reactions: 1 users
Also consider that some adcoms meet weekly, but some meet monthly after a string of interviews. So maybe it's possible that by picking that later date, you'll be fresh in their minds. I would just go with the cheapest option. It truly won't be the difference between getting a spot or not.

Not sure which school you have the interview with, but I know some will interview in packs. For example, the 8/5 people will be the first group in the pack and then the 8/12 group is the second group in the pack. After one pack of people have interviewed, they will send out acceptance letters. So if you're in the second pack then technically you will be competing for less spots, but since 8/5 and 8/25 are so close together, it probably won't make a huge difference. But like Bonn22 said, the earlier you interview, the less people they have to compare you with. But if money is tight, then it's not a bad idea to go with the cheaper option.

Ok, so I have a similar question. Basically have been booking interviews as I receive them.

So far interview dates: 8/5; 8/12; 8/26; and 9/16
I work full-time and it has required a good amount of flexibility from my boss (which she has been happy to accommodate me). I needed a break and it did no work out for my off weekend for the 9/2 & 9/9 days. I am particularly worried about the 9/16 interview (it is LECOM-Erie). 8/5 is LECOM-B. Reading lately it seems that Erie has the advantage on rotations (I will probably do PBL For either).

To summarize: do I need to be concerned for a 9/16 interview date for a school that i'd prioritize? I already have flight/car/hotel booked for Bradenton and it might complicate things. I could go to erie a week or two earlier but it would require a lot of schedule changes. Thoughts? Am I okay?

Don't scare the guy with the earlier is better stuff.
No. It will not make a difference the 5th vs the 25th.

And to the other one 9/16 is fine too.

When one week to the next is worrisome is after December.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, so I have a similar question. Basically have been booking interviews as I receive them.

So far interview dates: 8/5; 8/12; 8/26; and 9/16
I work full-time and it has required a good amount of flexibility from my boss (which she has been happy to accommodate me). I needed a break and it did no work out for my off weekend for the 9/2 & 9/9 days. I am particularly worried about the 9/16 interview (it is LECOM-Erie). 8/5 is LECOM-B. Reading lately it seems that Erie has the advantage on rotations (I will probably do PBL For either).

To summarize: do I need to be concerned for a 9/16 interview date for a school that i'd prioritize? I already have flight/car/hotel booked for Bradenton and it might complicate things. I could go to erie a week or two earlier but it would require a lot of schedule changes. Thoughts? Am I okay?
Go with whatever works best for you. A month isn't going to matter at this point, other than potentially getting done sooner. I would not be concerned about timing until around Dec or Jan and even then for DO there are open slots most schools are trying to fill. These are the things that you don't need to stress over.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It won't matter at all.

Hello I have a really quick question! I got an invitation to an interview and the dates offered are
8/5/16
8/12/16
8/25/16
Does it matter which date I pick for the interview? Like would it be better if I pick August 5 over the 25th? I wanted to pick the 25th because it would be cheaper for me and money is tight but do I have a better chance picking August 5th? Please let me know

It's like presentations in classes for me: the earlier you go, the less they have to compare you to. That's just me though.
Not for seasoned ADCOMs. Some of these people have been in the game for years and know when a good fit comes around.