Does the residency location affect salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the residency location affect job opportunities and salaries? Also, I have seen posts where they say certain areas pay more than others, such as LA pays lower than other areas in CA b/c people want to be there. Is that true? How do you know which locations pay more or less? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

capone2975 said:
Does the residency location affect job opportunities and salaries? Also, I have seen posts where they say certain areas pay more than others, such as LA pays lower than other areas in CA b/c people want to be there. Is that true? How do you know which locations pay more or less? Thank you.

I've met several people who interviewed at USC and UCLA, however all were interviewing for pediatrics and LA does indeed pay lower than other areas of California.

However, the cost of living in Nor Cal is obviously higher than even LA...that being the case, however, the all three of the interviewees felt that USCs and UCLAs compensation for predi residents was pretty poor. I don't know the reason for that but it may be exactly for what you say...that the chance to work in such a large very desirable city means that these programs can pay less.

And of course, based upon cost of living residency pay can vary pretty strongly.

capone2975 said:

I think the statement about LA is inaccurate. I believe all of California pays a set rate to all residents regardless of location. I understand, from friends who matched at UCSF, that it is some paltry sum of about $30K, which is less than Duke pays its residents (about $40K). Trust me, nobody wants to be in Durham, NC and the standard of living is much cheaper than CA. Yet, CA pays less. In addition, this topic will be handled by more informed medical students and residents in a forum outside of pre-allo. You might want to try posting there.

Members don't see this ad :)
GuyLaroche said:
I think the statement about LA is inaccurate. I believe all of California pays a set rate to all residents regardless of location. I understand, from friends who matched at UCSF, that it is some paltry sum of about $30K, which is less than Duke pays its residents (about $40K). Trust me, nobody wants to be in Durham, NC and the standard of living is much cheaper than CA. Yet, CA pays less. In addition, this topic will be handled by more informed medical students and residents in a forum outside of pre-allo. You might want to try posting there.

thanks for the info! I seem to spend most of my time in this forum so this is where I end up posting my questions:) Thanks for the advice.

GuyLaroche said:

There's plenty of private med schools out here in Cali. I can assure you that Stanford offers more than UCLA for its PGY-1 year. But the real issue is that it seems to pay more than USC as well...and as the OP speculated that might be becuase LA appears more desirable to med students applying to residency.