Does the residency you get matched into affect how much you will be compensated?

I guess it really comes down to board scores.

I don't know. I am going to community college first and planning on transferring to a good school, so, I guess I will have to see.

I think I am just getting discouraged, I mean, I am not getting the best grades in Chem, but, I could take this again in college and actually do a lot better. I think I just keep telling myself "Jeff, if you are doing this bad, why don't you just give it up now." However, I then ask myself "Well, is any of this even useful?" No, the stuff we learn in non honors chem is just basic stuff and to be honest I am not trying at all in this class, mainly because all we do is conversions and memorize stuff.

I am not doing that great in math either but I blame that on the teacher.

I am not doing the best and I admit it was my fault that I did not apply myself earlier on in high school.

Is it really that hard to become a spinal surgeon? That's insane...to say the least.

That's why you're doing poorly. You said it yourself: you're not trying.

You can make just about any grade you want if you put in the effort relative to that grade. Having a good attitude about the class and studies will also go a long way towards doing well in that class.

Becoming a doctor isn't an easy ride. You know this already. And most of the road is going to be memorization, that's what school is about.

Don't give up now when you aren't even trying. Try your hardest and get the best grades you can so you always have all of your options open. You can't go back in time and wish you did better, so you gotta do "better" while you can.

Members don't see this ad.

I would still do medicine if I only had 20k a year, but I would definatly have to chose a different med school to go to because of the debt.
You say that now, but I don't believe you'd carry through with it. You'd be pretty upset when you realized that even the janitors made more than you, and the newly-hired nurses made triple what you were making, and working a lot less than you were. I could pay my rent, electric bill and grocery bill with $20K a year. And that's it. No car, no gas money, no bus money, no health insurance, no computer, no internet, no TV, no cable, no clothes, no fun.

You say that now, but I don't believe you'd carry through with it. You'd be pretty upset when you realized that even the janitors made more than you, and the newly-hired nurses made triple what you were making, and working a lot less than you were. I could pay my rent, electric bill and grocery bill with $20K a year. And that's it. No car, no gas money, no bus money, no health insurance, no computer, no internet, no TV, no cable, no clothes, no fun.

Might want to read the entire thread first bud.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do understand where you are coming from. I think that doctors do deserve their pay, a few of us were just saying even if we weren't making 200k+ a year as someone mentioned, we would still be happy. 20k was an exaggeration, as the person who said it was, but I would accept less money if it meant continuing with medicine. 60k is more than most people need.

60k is not practical compensation for that amount of work. Don't be greedy but don't be a fool either.

lols. All i know is, if i go to over 12 years of school i want a good bit of compensation.

Going into residency in several months.

Different hospitals have different salaries for residents (I've seen $7K differences in the NYC/LI region programs). Salaries increase slightly with each year post-graduation, and are generally similar for every single field at that hospital. It's a livable salary. Once you leave fellowship/residency, your salary bumps up.

That said, it's way too early to think about these things on this forum.

And I'd love to make $60K a year :) Can't wait for the salary (it'll be in the $50s). That said, since I'll be in NYC, I'm only looking at $10K after taxes, food, shelter. Straight into loans that money goes. $20K a year and I'd just live in the call room and eat cat food