Does the school you pick matter? If so, why??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indonacious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a in a pretty in-depth discussion with some fellow pre-meds about the following (frequently discussed) topic, but I wanted to get other's opinions.

What are the benefits, if any, of choosing a more prestigious medical school over one that is considered less prestigious? I understand that the idea of prestige and the schools that qualify to be prestigious is largely subjective (we could say top 10 or even 25 on US news for this discussion's sake)...but bare with me for the purposes of this discussion.

Many argue that Step 1 scores are dependent on the students that go there, match lists are context and individual dependent. I mention these only because these are the 2 main metrics that I am aware of concerning how to gauge how well a medical school does for its students in terms of their career placement.

It, therefore, seems that the "Med School is Med School" school of thought suggests that you will learn what you need to learn wherever you go.

My question is then why do students choose school X or school Y, where school X is considered to be a more 'prestigious' school? Is it all just that pre-meds like that superiority or are there rational reasons for choosing that school X over Y, aside from fit considerations that may be at play?

Members don't see this ad.

More/better research options (to get into competitive specialties or academic residencies), school may have a better department in specialty X, your peers are academically stronger (could be important if you're doing small group stuff), clinical training might be superior (but this is probably a bit less related to prestige)

Members don't see this ad :)
Money.

Location.

Prestige?

Boils down to each person's priorities.

I think location is the most overrated reason. Many current medical students I have spoke to have said this (ex. NYC may be fun but you really do not have time to enjoy it).

I got a in a pretty in-depth discussion with some fellow pre-meds about the following (frequently discussed) topic, but I wanted to get other's opinions.

What are the benefits, if any, of choosing a more prestigious medical school over one that is considered less prestigious? I understand that the idea of prestige and the schools that qualify to be prestigious is largely subjective (we could say top 10 or even 25 on US news for this discussion's sake)...but bare with me for the purposes of this discussion.

Many argue that Step 1 scores are dependent on the students that go there, match lists are context and individual dependent. I mention these only because these are the 2 main metrics that I am aware of concerning how to gauge how well a medical school does for its students in terms of their career placement.

It, therefore, seems that the "Med School is Med School" school of thought suggests that you will learn what you need to learn wherever you go.

My question is then why do students choose school X or school Y, where school X is considered to be a more 'prestigious' school? Is it all just that pre-meds like that superiority or are there rational reasons for choosing that school X over Y, aside from fit considerations that may be at play?

Med school is med school . . . except when it's not (the same logic applies to UG, too). Step I scores are dependent on the individual, but much like if you went to a prestigious UG and are applying to med school without the best grades, if you don't have the best scores but come from a top med school, people are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Not only do top med schools offer more research opportunities, many would argue that the clinical training is superior. Another aspect is that coming from a top med school, if you did exceptionally well relative to the rest of your class, it speaks volumes to how good you truly are. Also, if you are coming from a top program, your LORs will likely be coming from some of the best, most respective, well known physicians in the country

To pre-meds and HS students, remember:

For med school, a 3.5 from Williams/Vassar/Carleton/Washington'nLee>>>3.7Arizona/St. Cloud State

For residencies, a 235 from JHU looks better than a 240 from GWU

I can think of two good reasons. 1. Schools ranked highly on the research ranking have more research opportunities. 2. Smaller programs may not have as good access to mentors in certain competitive specialties, like rad onc. Other than that, prestige is probably just about bragging rights and probably won't change your residency prospects or career all that much.

This topic is discussed all the time. In general, your school matters in many ways. There are regional biases in rresidency selection, and in some fields/programs, prestige matters, sometimes a lot. That being said, there are lots of reasons to choose what school to go to, among them location, family, cost, research opps etc.

I think location is the most overrated reason. Many current medical students I have spoke to have said this (ex. NYC may be fun but you really do not have time to enjoy it).

The people I have talked to (mostly MD/PhD students) tell me that you can still have fun if you have good time management skills. Plus, the vibe I get from most people here on SDN is the same thing. You can definitely bury yourself in the medical school library but there are other options.

That's a bunch of BS. We went out at least once a week, even during 3rd year, you have plenty of free time if you manage your time well.

That's a bunch of BS. We went out at least once a week, even during 3rd year, you have plenty of free time if you manage your time well.

Definitely. Location is important because you want to make the most of that free time you do have. You don't want to be bored and/or boring.

I do not concur. Every doctor/patient/researcher/friend/boss/stranger said I will have a blast.

People make things happen. Girl of your dreams ain't gonna walk up to you.

I will have a blast in NYC! Concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh, there's nothing you can't do!

The way I look at it, there is no getting around the fact that we will be extremely busy in med school and may not have as much time to enjoy the location as much as we would like to. However, I'm in it for the long-run, and wherever I move I want to put down roots and ultimately be happy 10 years down the line.

The way I look at it, there is no getting around the fact that we will be extremely busy in med school and may not have as much time to enjoy the location as much as we would like to. However, I'm in it for the long-run, and wherever I move I want to put down roots and ultimately be happy 10 years down the line.

Don't look at med school as where you are going to put down roots (unless you already are locked into a location from preexising roots). There are multiple decision points beyond med school which may bring you to a different locale. You might end up doing med school one place, with away rotations at several other locations, then a prelim intern year at yet another place, an advanced residency at still another place, and then fellowship again at another place. So you should really be looking at someplace that will be your home base for 4 years, but not necessarily longer. The folks focused on putting down roots in med school Sometimes unnecessarily close career path doors.

As for free time, there is no single correct perspective. There will be people with time to go out weekly. There will be people who aren't as efficient and reserve going out for the night after an exam. There are people who seemingly absorb and remember everything and can go out frequently. The only thing I can tell you is it's a lot more work than college, and until you find a system that works, you can expect to be holed up studying a lot if the time. And then during some 3rd year rotations where you might be working up to 80 hours per week, with shelf exam to study for on top of that, you might not have time to break 6 hours per night of sleep, let alone go out.

Don't look at med school as where you are going to put down roots (unless you already are locked into a location from preexising roots). There are multiple decision points beyond med school which may bring you to a different locale. You might end up doing med school one place, with away rotations at several other locations, then a prelim intern year at yet another place, an advanced residency at still another place, and then fellowship again at another place. So you should really be looking at someplace that will be your home base for 4 years, but not necessarily longer. The folks focused on putting down roots in med school Sometimes unnecessarily close career path doors.

As for free time, there is no single correct perspective. There will be people with time to go out weekly. There will be people who aren't as efficient and reserve going out for the night after an exam. There are people who seemingly absorb and remember everything and can go out frequently. The only thing I can tell you is it's a lot more work than college, and until you find a system that works, you can expect to be holed up studying a lot if the time. And then during some 3rd year rotations where you might be working up to 80 hours per week, with shelf exam to study for on top of that, you might not have time to break 6 hours per night of sleep, let alone go out.

Perhaps, she is one those students who studies a great deal and couldnt go out.

For better or worse, the acgme work hour changes have encouraged reductions in med school work hours too at many schools.

Since these ACGME rules don't govern med student hours, there's a huge range as to what schools are doing. Some have pared down med student hours, others (probably most) haven't. At least for things like sub-Is and the like, I think it's probably a mistake if schools don't at least parrot the resident hours. The whole point of these rotations is to give you a head start at seeing what is involved in being an intern, and frankly the hours are a big part of what's involved. I have to say that the learning curve was a lot steeper for some residents I know whose med schools "protected" them from the longer hour shifts.

Since these ACGME rules don't govern med student hours, there's a huge range as to what schools are doing. Some have pared down med student hours, others (probably most) haven't. At least for things like sub-Is and the like, I think it's probably a mistake if schools don't at least parrot the resident hours. The whole point of these rotations is to give you a head start at seeing what is involved in being an intern, and frankly the hours are a big part of what's involved. I have to say that the learning curve was a lot steeper for some residents I know whose med schools "protected" them from the longer hour shifts.

The whole point is that services are eliminating intern call, so sub-is tend to not do them now. There are some places that do, but it seems pretty ridiculous for the med student (who can't write orders) to be on overnight call when the interns aren't (although there are places that have that, at least for now) I think it would make a lot more sense for the sub-is to float with the team like the interns do. Our school basically applies the intern rules to med students. We can't work more than 16 hours straight, more than 80 hours a week averaged over 4, and have to have at least one weekend day, and 8 hours between shifts (or is it 10 now?), etc.