Does the undergraduate school matter in med school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,
I went to am HBCU, so does that matter as much to medical school admissions committees as graduating from Harvard or Stanford?

Members don't see this ad.

Like all things in life, it depends. Some schools give preference to top tier undergrads in the process. Others do not care. It is a net neutral for the most part as long as you did well in your classes.

This is simply anecdotal but I have a very similar application overall to someone I know who applied last year. The main difference was I went to a local state college and they went to a top 5 undergrad. They had about twice as many IIs as I do at this point in the cycle with around 5 acceptances by now vs my 0. I'm not sure if they applied to more schools, and of course essays could be different.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a chart somewhere on sdn that shows that it is of medium to low importance.

Anecdotally it matters a bit, especially depending on the school. ________ school of medicine for example, seems to like recruiting people from top institutions, to the point where there were only 1-2 people (including myself) from unknown lesser schools at my interview. (An important confounder could be that if you go to a top institution for undergrad, you do better on the mcat and get more interviews. )

It definitely matters but that doesn't mean someone from a lesser school cannot get into a top institution, you just gotta work for it.

This is simply anecdotal but I have a very similar application overall to someone I know who applied last year. The main difference was I went to a local state college and they went to a top 5 undergrad. They had about twice as many IIs as I do at this point in the cycle with around 5 acceptances by now vs my 0. I'm not sure if they applied to more schools, and of course essays could be different.
not to derail, but with a LizzyM like that I am unsure if you are being yeild protected, or if they applied to more schools, or had some special sauce in their ECs.

Chart attached.
Private med schools appear to take UG selectivity into account as a factor the highest importance
Public med schools take state residency into account of the highest importance
This is the major difference in selection factors between public and private schools
There is no standard definition, formula, or process across medical schools as to what selectivity is or how medical schools use it.
Therefore trying to say anything other than it is taken into account is futile
There is no scenario where "if two equal students one from Harvard and one from State U..."
From my experience, I will say that premeds give this factor way, way more weight than the schools do

You've got this in your 'Boilerplate' file right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 users
I'm willing to bet that the super top schools (e.g. Harvard, Stanford, Penn, Columbia, Yale etc ) definitely care about where you went for undergrad and rate it very highly. Since the competition is intense, subtle differences begin to matter, and someone with strong stats, strong ECs, strong essays etc. will have a better chance of getting in if they are from HYPSM than from a state or no-name school.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to get into these schools from a no-name school but it's definitely harder than coming from HYPSM.

Just want to share my n = 1 experience on the matter since I’ve seen this topic pop up a lot in the past couple of months. I’ve attended interviews at a couple top 20s and a top 5 and the distribution of people who are attending or attended “top undergrads” makes up the majority of people at my interview day (the top 20s are probably 70% but the top 5 was like 90%). I highly doubt the best applicants are all clustered to 10-15 undergrads so definitely plays a part.

Reactions: 4 users
Same situation as @Orthopedics101. Of the interviews that I attended that were "Top 10," and I am not exaggerating, I was always the only one (with 2 exceptions) from a state school.

At Harvard? All Ivy's plus Cali UC's. Same with Yale, Cornell, Columbia etc etc etc. This is one of the points that I disagree on with some of the adcomm members here, because while yes, anecdotes are anecdotes, it really just seems that they do care (at least at "top" programs).

But OP, if you're asking about state schools, like @gonnif said, they don't care—though it probably will not hurt, as long as you're considered a resident of the school to which you're applying.

If you think about it from a 'human nature' and 'confirmation bias' perspective, it all makes perfect sense.

To generalize, HYPSM schools believe they offer a superior education to State U's and attract a higher caliber of student, so they'd evaluate their medical school applicants through the same lenses.

State U's feel they offer an education that is every bit as good as HYPSM and that their top students are every bit as capable as those at the elite private schools, so they'd factor those biases in when evaluating applicants.

So the long and short of it is: If you're applying to U of State Medical School, your State U degree is every bit as good as HYPSM; If you're applying to Princeton Med, your State U degree is a step below your HYPSM colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
Same situation as @Orthopedics101. Of the interviews that I attended that were "Top 10," and I am not exaggerating, I was always the only one (with 2 exceptions) from a state school.

At Harvard? All Ivy's plus Cali UC's. Same with Yale, Cornell, Columbia etc etc etc. This is one of the points that I disagree on with some of the adcomm members here, because while yes, anecdotes are anecdotes, it really just seems that they do care (at least at "top" programs).

But OP, if you're asking about state schools, like @gonnif said, they don't care—though it probably will not hurt, as long as you're considered a resident of the school to which you're applying.

Same here! I'm at a state school, and of 20 interviewees at a top 15, I was the only one from a non-"brand name" school. It's a bit daunting, but also means a lot that we got there B)

Do you think we have a higher chance of getting in since we're at the interview compared to people from top schools at the same interview?

Same here! I'm at a state school, and of 20 interviewees at a top 15, I was the only one from a non-"brand name" school. It's a bit daunting, but also means a lot that we got there B)

Do you think we have a higher chance of getting in since we're at the interview compared to people from top schools at the same interview?

I honestly think it puts you at the same spot as everyone else, you're all at the interview.

I honestly think it puts you at the same spot as everyone else, you're all at the interview.

Idk I think in some ways once you get there having a unique undergrad helps. At most of my interviews I have been the only one from a non-fancy school and the schools specifically talked about wanting a diverse class including in terms of undergrads represented. If they pick me there will almost certainly be no undergrad overlap. Probably a very very small consideration though if at all and very school
dependent. Plus it's hard to even get to the interview part compared to the name brand school people I've found...

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk I think in some ways once you get there having a unique undergrad helps. At most of my interviews I have been the only one from a non-fancy school and the schools specifically talked about wanting a diverse class including in terms of undergrads represented. If they pick me there will almost certainly be no undergrad overlap. Probably a very very small consideration though if at all and very school
dependent. Plus it's hard to even get to the interview part compared to the name brand school people I've found...

Idk it's possible. At a few of my top 20 interviews there were a large proportion (>70%) of people from top schools, and my state undergrad was brought up with my interviewers, so you may be right. I just think that it is one factor among so many others that it would be hard to sus out how much this impacts standing/decisions

Chart attached.
Private med schools appear to take UG selectivity into account as a factor the highest importance
This is the major difference in selection factors between public and private schools
There is no standard definition, formula, or process across medical schools as to what selectivity is or how medical schools use it.
There is no scenario where "if two equal students one from Harvard and one from State U..."
From my experience, I will say that premeds give this factor way, way more weight than the schools do

View attachment 225455
Would my future undergrad institution, the University of Rochester, be considered selective? (if you're familiar with this school of course)

Idk it's possible. At a few of my top 20 interviews there were a large proportion (>70%) of people from top schools, and my state undergrad was brought up with my interviewers, so you may be right. I just think that it is one factor among so many others that it would be hard to sus out how much this impacts standing/decisions
I completely agree. Feels weird in every interview to be the only one that then has to say where my school is located bc nobody has heard of it lol definitely lots of bias in this process. I'm just trying to stay positive and pretend that in someways it's an asset since in most ways it isn't

Would my future undergrad institution, the University of Rochester, be considered selective? (if you're familiar with this school of course)

UVR is a great school (high tier), you'll be fine. It is selective and has name recognition (although it's no Harvard/Yale).

Chart attached.

View attachment 225455

If @gonnif posts, or attaches something, I read immediately and save the attachment. Invaluable and truly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really regionally dependent. The Northeast private medical schools do take from each other a lot. Here in Texas we'd love someone from Stanford or Northwestern, but we're perfectly happy with applicants from Top 30 universities like Rice, Tulane, U. Texas at Austin, etc.

And, as I have said many times, a GPA of 3.8+ at a selective four-year undergraduate institution puts your application near the top for review...

+1 on the anecdotes. Among the dozen interviews i've been on, the higher the school is ranked, the higher the Ivy+stanford percentage seems to be. To the point where I felt like a sympathy invite at one.

+1 on the anecdotes. Among the dozen interviews i've been on, the higher the school is ranked, the higher the Ivy+stanford percentage seems to be. To the point where I felt like a sympathy invite at one.

You should feel good about yourself if you are from a lesser known school and still end up at the interview with all of the top 20 graduates :) I take it as a confidence boost since the adcoms are considering you to be on a similar level

Going back many decades, The Northeast private UG and medical Ivy League schools had linkage agreements specifying seats in medical schools assigned to applicants from specific UG colleges, some of which still exist. This goes way, way back to the long-standing, open, formal, and strict policies of racism, antisemitism, and anti-Catholicism these schools had in order to keep only the "right" kind of people enrolled, namely WASP blue-bloods. It wasnt until the early 2000's that the most restricted of these, Brown Med School, which had all of its seats assigned to its own UG or to other linked Ivies, thus preventing any other outsiders from even applying to the school. This ingrained "culture" still influences decision making on the med schools part even into the faculty and staff. One of my college classmates, now MD-PhD and professor, has told me he is the only one in his department at Brown who didnt either go to its medical school or residency program. BTW, this racism, antisemitism, and anti-Catholicism in medical schools parallels the of hospitals, which is why separate "WASP" (eg Columbia Presbyterian), Jewish (eg Mount Sinai) and Catholic (eg St. Vincent's) institutions are prevalent in most places. Public hospitals were often developed with support from "WASP" societies who wanted the poor taken care of just not in their hospitals. And this brief comment doesnt even touch on the HBCs, medical schools, and hospitals, that were still legally required thru the 1960s and effectively still echos in society. The American Hospital and Medical school system reflects the overall history of racism and discrimination of the US

Brown med school what?

And Mt Sinai is no longer affiliated with any race or religion (original founding and its current impacts aside)

That's exactly what I was thinking. They're a lot more selective in picking interviewees from non brand name schools, so once were there, we're at a sliiight advantage

Fixed the first. The second was an example of why these systems developed. It is interesting in NY the the Catholic Health System has now closed all its hospitals

Thanks! (I wasn't trying to point out an error, I was genuinely curious in what you had to say about Brown).

Hi,
I went to am HBCU, so does that matter as much to medical school admissions committees as graduating from Harvard or Stanford?
Being a URM student will be even more attractive to Adcoms than going to Harvard/Stanford as a UG, as medical outcomes depend upon recruiting URMs into medicine.

Being a URM student will be even more attractive to Adcoms than going to Harvard/Stanford as a UG, as medical outcomes depend upon recruiting URMs into medicine.

What about URM and went to a top 10 school is that double brownie points?

Yeeeah, I wouldn't interpret the tea leaves that way.

I mean, the way I view it, people from big schools have that in their favor, so the adcom will take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to invite them for the interview. If you’re not from a top school, then your school isn’t helping you at all (assuming the adcom actually pays attention to that). So, there must be something else in your application that sort of “accounts” for the lack of a brand name school. Although, I may just be saying that to help myself feel slightly less stressed right now :p

I went to very competitive State School. Each year they cut the pre-meds in half. At times it felt like Hunger Games. We have a ton of top five U graduates in our class and to be honest I am not that impressed by their overall work effort. Grade inflation being what it is at ivies I am not sure their GPA would have survived the Public meat grinder.

Chart attached.

View attachment 225455
What is meant by selectivity of undergraduate institution? In the academic metrics part.

To throw some insider data in here, 80% of students interviewed so far this year (at a high ranked private school) come from "top 30" universities or liberal arts colleges. 65% come from the "top 20". n=~300

I have a very hard time thinking that arises without a bias, especially since some back of the envelope calculations show the vast majority of people scoring high on the MCAT are not at these colleges.

This is too anecdotal. Too many other variables. Which states are you each from? Likely your app lists were totally different. Experiences would be different. One may have received a "highly recommended" notation on their Committee Letter, while the other may have gotten a lesser notation or lukewarm LORs.

I personally know a Vanderbilt student with very good stats that hasn't received any IIs so far. Personally, I think the app list is the issue.

Last edited: