Does this count a clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinacol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is an over asked question, but I haven't seen a post similar to my situation.

I am a volunteer at a therapeutic horseback riding center for handicapped people and veterans. I walk with the horse and the rider through their lesson. Does this count as clinical experience? Riders are there for the psychological and medical benefit of riding, it isn't just for fun.

Would it be better if I started volunteering at a hospital in a more standard clinical setting? Unfortunately, I would have to pick one over the other because my time is very limited. I just want to make the best choice my med school application. I would rather switch my volunteer path sooner than later!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is an over asked question, but I haven't seen a post similar to my situation.

I am a volunteer at a therapeutic horseback riding center for handicapped people and veterans. I walk with the horse and the rider through their lesson. Does this count as clinical experience? Riders are there for the psychological and medical benefit of riding, it isn't just for fun.

Would it be better if I started volunteering at a hospital in a more standard clinical setting? Unfortunately, I would have to pick one over the other because my time is very limited. I just want to make the best choice my med school application. I would rather switch my volunteer path sooner than later!

Thanks!
Are you working under the direction of someone with medical training who outlines the goals and therapeutic approach for each client? How would you describe your role, other than "I walk with the horse and rider"?

Regardless of whether the experience qualifies (and it might, but even if it doesn't, it is still a good activity for a med school application), it should not stand alone, as it doesn't provide you with medical facility experience and doesn't put you in the presence of physicians. If you have the time for only one experience, I suggest you look to volunteering or working in a rehab facility, hospice, hospital, or clinic (VA, family-planning, low-income, or private) where you can interact with sick people in a helpful way, as well as observe physicians in action.

Thanks for the response!

The woman who runs the facility and lessons is an MD. She has never outlined the therapeutic approach for each client to me--I always thought it was kind of beyond my role to ask about it. My role beyond walking with the horses is to talk with the rider to see how they are doing and make adjustments to make them more comfortable. I talk with them as we brush the horses and get them ready for the lesson, but we rarely talk about their medical conditions.

I do agree that it would probably be best to get more involved as a volunteer in a medical facility. I will continue for now until my volunteer application at a hospital or clinic is accepted.

Reactions: 1 user