Does this count as Biostatistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PHC 4069 - Biostatistics in Society

Credit(s): 3
This course exposes students to the role of biostatistics in advancing healthcare and improving health through landmark studies and cases in a wide range of fields, including clinical trials, epidemiology, environmental studies, and healthcare evaluation.

Does this count as biostatistics? I would ask my advisors, but I can’t meet them for another month.

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a conservative view, it doesn't look like it covers things like standard deviations, probabilities, ANOVA, or Bayesian inference. It sounds like a nice applications class without the math. "Role of biostatistics".

It's like learning about how important radiology is in medicine. Knowing this does not make you an expert in radiology.

That said, it sounds like an interesting elective.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking a conservative view, it doesn't look like it covers things like standard deviations, probabilities, ANOVA, or Bayesian inference. It sounds like a nice applications class without the math. "Role of biostatistics".

It's like learning about how important radiology is in medicine. Knowing this does not make you an expert in radiology.

That said, it sounds like an interesting elective.

Hi! Sorry to revive a dead post, but I recently talked to a friend who took the course and they said the course covers everything a biostatistic class does. But I’m still iffy on whether it’s a biostat class because it’s offered under my college’s school of public health and public health is typically not BCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Google is right, I looked up what prerequisites your prehealth advising office lists. The common required statistics course as STA 2023. (PHC prefix looks like Public Health). While I may not have an issue if "biostatistics" is in the title, your prehealth advising office's word will be what admissions committees will rely on if there are questions. To that end, you need to ask the office why PHC 4069 is not included if what your friend says is correct. We don't have the official syllabus to know the textbook or resources used for the course.

I don't know offhand how AMCAS verification will treat this course since it does have the word "biostatistics" in the course name.

Email your advisors (noting that you had the time to meet with them). This shouldn't require a meeting.

Last edited: