Does this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flubchub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm very new to SDN, and I had a question about whether or not volunteering in an acupuncture clinic counted as clinical experience? Based on the description of the position (below), I would assume it is, but I was also wondering if medical schools would look down on it because it is an acupuncture clinic. The clinic coordinates with patients' physicians, but the actual person I would be working with the most is not a medical doctor (licensed acupuncturist). I am highly interested in exploring this approach to care, especially in combination with Western medicine, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
From the position description:
"This position operates under a coordinated care model and will allow you to gain valuable experience by engaging in direct patient contact (patient intake, vitals, rooming, etc.) and learning about the socioeconomic factors involved in healthcare."
You will help oversee weekly clinic flow and will have the opportunity to become more involved in direct patient care through:
· Scribing and being present during the entire acupuncture treatment, helping acupuncture interns and other providers record history of present illness and treatment notes
· Performing patient intake before acupuncture treatment and recording your notes into the Electronic Health Records (EHR) system
· Measuring blood pressure, temperature, weight, and pulse under supervision
· Assisting patients with self-care education and providing information about other services we offer
· Scheduling patients, scanning and transcribing notes into EHR, and other administrative duties

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in Alternative Medicine and you would be working in proximity to patients (I see that they are called patients), then I think this is a good opportunity. Just becoming familiar with the routine of greeting patients, taking vital signs, gathering and recording information in the medical record, etc would be good experience.

You'll make me a lot happier as an Adcom if you also get in health care experience with real doctors. I am rather skeptical as to the benefits of acupuncture.

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to SDN, and I had a question about whether or not volunteering in an acupuncture clinic counted as clinical experience? Based on the description of the position (below), I would assume it is, but I was also wondering if medical schools would look down on it because it is an acupuncture clinic. The clinic coordinates with patients' physicians, but the actual person I would be working with the most is not a medical doctor (licensed acupuncturist). I am highly interested in exploring this approach to care, especially in combination with Western medicine, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
"This position operates under a coordinated care model and will allow you to gain valuable experience by engaging in direct patient contact (patient intake, vitals, rooming, etc.) and learning about the socioeconomic factors involved in healthcare."
You will help oversee weekly clinic flow and will have the opportunity to become more involved in direct patient care through:
· Scribing and being present during the entire acupuncture treatment, helping acupuncture interns and other providers record history of present illness and treatment notes
· Performing patient intake before acupuncture treatment and recording your notes into the Electronic Health Records (EHR) system
· Assisting patients with self-care education and providing information about other services we offer
· Scheduling patients, scanning and transcribing notes into EHR, and other administrative duties

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I think it would be fine to include this on your application as "Clinical," but I'd hope it isn't the only "patient" exposure on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice everyone! My goal is most definitely to be a physician trained in Western medicine, but I didn't think it would hurt to have some exposure to alternatives and patient care. I also plan on getting EMT certification this summer and volunteering in a hospital as well, so I can get more exposure and contact with actual medical doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice everyone! My goal is most definitely to be a physician trained in Western medicine, but I didn't think it would hurt to have some exposure to alternatives and patient care. I also plan on getting EMT certification this summer and volunteering in a hospital as well, so I can get more exposure and contact with actual medical doctors.

You can be an EMT and volunteer for clinical experience. That's fine. BUT. To get more shadowing contact with doctors...you need to shadow doctors.

Hoping you bump into docs occasionally in the ER as an EMT is not the way to do it.