Potentia Virtus

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2017
I recently started a job as a private in home care giver for an individual with severe cerebral palsy. Duties are primarily cooking, feeding, bathing, changing, etc. But I also administer meds and fluids through a peg tube.
In a nursing home or rehab center this would obviously be patient contact, however, since this is done privately where I've just contracted with the patients mother and it's done in their home, is this patient exposure?
I have a lot of clinical experience as a paramedic, however I haven't done that for about three years, so it would be nice to add some more recent patient contact hours.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
This is a gray zone. Given that you have experience as a paramedic (really, a paramedic, not an EMT -- I am impressed!) this will be taken a bit more seriously than if you did not but it isn't a situation where the person you are caring for is called "the patient" so that's why I call it a gray zone.

Reactions: 1 user

Potentia Virtus

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2017
This is a gray zone. Given that you have experience as a paramedic (really, a paramedic, not an EMT -- I am impressed!) this will be taken a bit more seriously than if you did not but it isn't a situation where the person you are caring for is called "the patient" so that's why I call it a gray zone.
I agree, it's a tough call. I don't need the hours, per se, but having something more recent and even being able to send an update later on during the cycle would be nice. I'll probably not count it. Thanks for the advice!

About the Ads

Dr. Meliodas

2+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
That should definitely count as clinical experience

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I tend to be conservative in calling this a clinical experience. While you are dealing with a patient, it is not in a clinical setting that would be akin to an environment where a doctor would work. Notice they call the experience clinical and not patient care hours.

Reactions: 1 users

Noisewater-TDX

5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you touch a patient or impact them in someway, its a clinical experience. It sounds like you are doing that with this job.

Reactions: 1 users

Lannister

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As an adcom, if I saw this on someone's application, I would probably consider it clinical experience if it's not technically classified as such.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I recently started a job as a private in home care giver for an individual with severe cerebral palsy. Duties are primarily cooking, feeding, bathing, changing, etc. But I also administer meds and fluids through a peg tube.
In a nursing home or rehab center this would obviously be patient contact, however, since this is done privately where I've just contracted with the patients mother and it's done in their home, is this patient exposure?
I have a lot of clinical experience as a paramedic, however I haven't done that for about three years, so it would be nice to add some more recent patient contact hours.
I count it as such.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.