Potentia Virtus

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2017
I recently started a job as a private in home care giver for an individual with severe cerebral palsy. Duties are primarily cooking, feeding, bathing, changing, etc. But I also administer meds and fluids through a peg tube.
In a nursing home or rehab center this would obviously be patient contact, however, since this is done privately where I've just contracted with the patients mother and it's done in their home, is this patient exposure?
I have a lot of clinical experience as a paramedic, however I haven't done that for about three years, so it would be nice to add some more recent patient contact hours.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
This is a gray zone. Given that you have experience as a paramedic (really, a paramedic, not an EMT -- I am impressed!) this will be taken a bit more seriously than if you did not but it isn't a situation where the person you are caring for is called "the patient" so that's why I call it a gray zone.

Reactions: Potentia Virtus
OP
Potentia Virtus

Potentia Virtus

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2017
This is a gray zone. Given that you have experience as a paramedic (really, a paramedic, not an EMT -- I am impressed!) this will be taken a bit more seriously than if you did not but it isn't a situation where the person you are caring for is called "the patient" so that's why I call it a gray zone.
I agree, it's a tough call. I don't need the hours, per se, but having something more recent and even being able to send an update later on during the cycle would be nice. I'll probably not count it. Thanks for the advice!

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I tend to be conservative in calling this a clinical experience. While you are dealing with a patient, it is not in a clinical setting that would be akin to an environment where a doctor would work. Notice they call the experience clinical and not patient care hours.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You can and should list this on your application as employment.

VincentAdultman

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not an adcom but I would. The only variable is that you're not doing this physically within the walls of a clinical facility such as a hospital orECF.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
As an adcom, if I saw this on someone's application, I would probably consider it clinical experience if it's not technically classified as such.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I recently started a job as a private in home care giver for an individual with severe cerebral palsy. Duties are primarily cooking, feeding, bathing, changing, etc. But I also administer meds and fluids through a peg tube.
In a nursing home or rehab center this would obviously be patient contact, however, since this is done privately where I've just contracted with the patients mother and it's done in their home, is this patient exposure?
I have a lot of clinical experience as a paramedic, however I haven't done that for about three years, so it would be nice to add some more recent patient contact hours.
I count it as such.

About the Ads