does this count as clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystal87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry, there are a ton of threads like this, but I really couldn't find what I was looking for.

I just got a job interview as an audiology technician (helping out with hearing screenings, hearing aid fittings, etc), but since I would be assisting audiologists and not MDs, do you think it would be a useful clinical experience to me as a premed?

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, there are a ton of threads like this, but I really couldn't find what I was looking for.

I just got a job interview as an audiology technician (helping out with hearing screenings, hearing aid fittings, etc), but since I would be assisting audiologists and not MDs, do you think it would be a useful clinical experience to me as a premed?

Yes, it's clinical, but not "shadowing" - you are participating in public health. I want to point out though, that you should *never* do an EC simply because you thought it would look good on a med school ap. It will show during your interview. Do what you are interested in and have a passion for. That is always impressive more impressive than some random hours volunteered in the hospital that you could have cared less for.

Thanks for your reply, and yes, I completely agree with you about doing something that you're interested/passionate in. Practically speaking, I'm currently looking for full-time job during my gap year, and my interests are obviously in healthcare so I've been applying broadly to various hospital positions that will grant me access to patient care. I applied for the audiology tech position because it sounded interesting and I'll be helping out with screening a lot newborns and infants which I think is really cool. But since I ultimately want to become a doctor, I wanted to know how this type of experience (which doesn't explicitly involve MDs) would be classified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply, and yes, I completely agree with you about doing something that you're interested/passionate in. Practically speaking, I'm currently looking for full-time job during my gap year, and my interests are obviously in healthcare so I've been applying broadly to various hospital positions that will grant me access to patient care. I applied for the audiology tech position because it sounded interesting and I'll be helping out with screening a lot newborns and infants which I think is really cool. But since I ultimately want to become a doctor, I wanted to know how this type of experience (which doesn't explicitly involve MDs) would be classified.
You won't be required to classify this yourself because you would put this down as "Employment- Not military".

How much shadowing do you have? Do you have hospital/clinical volunteering?

There isn't much that smells better than newborn patients. (see signature line).

However, it is not a substitute for having some exposure to physicians in their daily work (shadowing).

There isn't much that smells better than newborn patients. (see signature line).

However, it is not a substitute for having some exposure to physicians in their daily work (shadowing).

lol, yup, given the range of possible patient smells, I'd say babies are on the pleasant end.

I've shadowed a lot of doctors and done some ER volunteering (~100 hours) as well. I just figured that since I need a job, I'd prefer to work in a hospital setting.

lol, yup, given the range of possible patient smells, I'd say babies are on the pleasant end.

I've shadowed a lot of doctors and done some ER volunteering (~100 hours) as well. I just figured that since I need a job, I'd prefer to work in a hospital setting.

Sounds like a good job for a gap year.

This could be used as clinical experience, but also try to get exposure to clinics and/or the hospital by shadowing a physician