Does this count as clinical exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiologyJr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I took care of my 18 year old cousin that has spastic Cerebral Palsy for 2 years and I was wondering if that counts as clinical exposure that I can put on my application. The following were duties that I had:
1) Used straight catheters to cath him because he had trouble urinating voluntarily
2) Preparing and administrating his dosage of medicines according to strict rules
3) Changing his diaper
4) Lifting him in and out of his wheelchair
5) Administrating his food via a g tube; changing his g tube
6) Assisting him when he vomited
7) Putting him to sleep and waking up at 4 am everyday to help him with his ADL’s (getting dressed, brushing teeth, showering)

Every other weekend, I would go and help with two other kids that had Cerebral Palsy. So I was just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is something I can put as clinical exposure on my application. I didn’t think that this would count and if it doesn’t it doesn’t matter cuz it was my cousin and I enjoyed taking care of him. But the doctor I ‘m shadowing said this could go on my application. Just wanted to verify with the SDN community.Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that this is a very profound experience and I'm sure that it will help your narrative when you apply, but the AMCAS breaks down experiences into pretty rigid criteria. This wouldn't necessarily for into either the clinical work experience or clinical volunteer experience categories. This probably best fits into the "Other" category. However, it will be excellent to write about in your statement, and it will say a lot about how meaningful this activity was to your if you go do true volunteering with patients like your cousin.

Definitely include it, definitely emphasize it, but also go find clinical experiences with people outside of your family

Reactions: 1 users
It is very noble and shows good characteristics in you. I believe it will provide a boost to your application, but that is not clinical experience. Shadowing a DO/MD, volunteering in a hospital/clinic (but only with direct patient contact and doctor exposure), or being an EMT, Scribe, CNA, Patient Care Tech, ER Tech, etc. There are other one's, but those are the major one's that pre-meds do to complete their service in terms of clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took care of my 18 year old cousin that has spastic Cerebral Palsy for 2 years and I was wondering if that counts as clinical exposure that I can put on my application. The following were duties that I had:
1) Used straight catheters to cath him because he had trouble urinating voluntarily
2) Preparing and administrating his dosage of medicines according to strict rules
3) Changing his diaper
7) Putting him to sleep and waking up at 4 am everyday to help him with his ADL’s (getting dressed, brushing teeth, showering)

Every other weekend, I would go and help with two other kids that had Cerebral Palsy. So I was just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is something I can put as clinical exposure on my application. I didn’t think that this would count and if it doesn’t it doesn’t matter cuz it was my cousin and I enjoyed taking care of him. But the doctor I ‘m shadowing said this could go on my application. Just wanted to verify with the SDN community.
The care you gave your family member can be included as an activity on your application, but NOT under a Community Service/Volunteer designation. The care and separate hours of the two other children with cerebral palsy could be included as a community service if you weren't paid. Whether it should be considered as clinical experience is another discussion.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

3) Changing his diaper

Every other weekend, I would go and help with two other kids that had Cerebral Palsy. So I was just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is something I can put as clinical exposure on my application. I didn’t think that this would count and if it doesn’t it doesn’t matter cuz it was my cousin and I enjoyed taking care of him. But the doctor I ‘m shadowing said this could go on my application. Just wanted to verify with the SDN community.Thank you!!
Nope, because you're supposed to take care of family. Its not about what procedures you know

Nope, because you're supposed to take care of family. Its not about what procedures you know

Agreed. I wouldn't list it as clinical exposure. But I definitely would talk about this somewhere in your app, maybe the PS. It is a very valuable experience that should give you some valuable insight.