Does this Count as English Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravens18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As part of my school's general education requirements, I have to take 3 semesters of an intensive writing course offered though my school's university writing program. Would this fulfill the year of English some medical schools require? Technically the classes aren't offered through my school's English Department. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

*squints*

If it's general education, it should count. It sounds like you are doing these instead of typical writing courses. Compare the prefix of your course to a class that you know would count. Medical schools mostly just want 1-2 semesters of English, but it varies by school. Research into specific schools. In my 2 minute Google search, I found that the Brody SOM has listed "English (Or writing intensive courses)" as a pre-req.

I also recommend visiting your academic adviser-- they probably know, since it's their, ya know, job.

Depends on the school. Look it up and check through the school's prerequisite list. For example UT@ Galveston has this on their website....

"The UT Medical Branch at Galveston WILL NOT ACCEPT writing intensive courses taught in departments other than English to satisfy the requirement."

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My UG has a similar system. Neither of my english/writing courses were in the english department, yet AMCAS still accepted it when I listed them as such and schools haven't complained (though every applicant from my school does this/has been doing this for years). Unless they explicitly say it's not okay, I think you'll be fine.

My UG has a similar system. Neither of my english/writing courses were in the english department, yet AMCAS still accepted it when I listed them as such and schools haven't complained (though every applicant from my school does this/has been doing this for years). Unless they explicitly say it's not okay, I think you'll be fine.

So how did you indicate on AMCAS that the class was "writing intensive" if it isn't in the course's name?

So how did you indicate on AMCAS that the class was "writing intensive" if it isn't in the course's name?

I didn't, I just listed it as english/whatever and it was accepted. I had a friend who did the same and AMCAS changed it, but he appealed with a course syllabus/description and they okayed it, so worst case, just appeal. Also ask any advisors you have access to if the course has counted in previous years - that would be the easiest way to figure this out.

Check with your UG's premed advising site, if you have one. Mine clearly listed out the departments and their classes that satisfy the English requirement for medical school.

As part of my school's general education requirements, I have to take 3 semesters of an intensive writing course offered though my school's university writing program. Would this fulfill the year of English some medical schools require? Technically the classes aren't offered through my school's English Department. Thanks in advance!.
I would have hoped in the 3 semesters of intensive writing they would have taught you to use a better font.