Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does this count as graduating in 4 years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fakesmile, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

I'm in third year. My school is in trisemester system and students can graduate in either of three semesters: Spring (Feb), Summer (June) or Fall (Oct). It appears that I might take an extra semester or two to satisfy my major's requirements and end up graduating in Fall 2010 or Spring 2011. (If I weren't taking any extra semester, then I'd normally graduate in Summer 2010.)
    Will med schools count this as graduating in 4 years? How bad will it be? I heard that med schools in general don't care about this, but that top schools are exceptions in that they usually don't like people taking more than 4 years to graduate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. stealthy1

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If your school was anything like mine (we also operate under a trimester system of Winter, Spring and Summer), then Winter and Spring are considered one academic "year." I am fairly sure that graduating in between a single year (ie between Winter/Spring) is considered taking an extra half a year. Whether in the top schools this is rounded up or not is debatable, but if you are concerned about this being a factor I'd say you should be on the safe side and not take the extra time; rather you might want to do as many of your requirements in the Summer as possible.

3. shemarty

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't actually know the answer to this, but I would *imagine* that it's not a big deal to take an extra trimester. No med school's going to turn you away just because you took an extra trimester of class.

What do other ppl think?

4. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Not a big deal. Do well and graduate. An extra semester or two won't be any kind of hindrance to your application. Good luck.

5. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but if you aren't graduating in May "as usual" after 4 years then I would think it would be seen as taking extra time. But I really don't personally see one or 2 extra trimesters hurting all that much at any schools.