Does this count as strong ties to a state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071054

Hi, I have an upcoming interview at Indiana (as an OOS applicant) where roughly only 20% of the first year class is out of state. While I'm a fan of their curriculum, the main reason I applied is that my longterm partner will be moving there soon to work for the next few years. Does this count as strong ties to the state? I've never visited the state before, but I have lived in the East coast before for many years. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Perhaps if they'd moved last year, but not now.

Reactions: 1 users
You actually have no ties to the state. You said you have never been to Indiana. How could you have any ties. If your partner moves and you end up on the waitlist maybe towards the end of the cycle you could mention it. But at this point your friend doesn’t seem to have any ties. (Maybe he does but it doesn’t sound like it from what you’ve said.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You actually have no ties to the state. You said you have never been to Indiana. How could you have any ties. If your partner moves and you end up on the waitlist maybe towards the end of the cycle you could mention it. But at this point your friend doesn’t seem to have any ties. (Maybe he does but it doesn’t sound like it from what you’ve said.)
This^^^^^. More importantly, a state school looking for ties is more likely looking for an indication of a demonstrated commitment that you are going to stay and serve the community after graduation. The fact that your partner will be working there for the next few years, and you would therefore like to attend to be near him/her, simply doesn't meet this criteria.

Hopefully, your application will be strong enough to overcome this bias. The fact that you received an II is a good indication that this is the case. Don't fall for the temptation of overstating your ties beyond letting them know why you would be highly motivated to attend if given the opportunity. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing wrong with letting your interviewer know that you would like to move to Indiana to be with your long-term partner--if you don't get into medical school this cycle, you may end up living there anyway and applying again.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with @LunaOri. If it comes up then just be honest about the situation. If I were interviewing you, then that would be a good enough reason for me to not get your application tossed aside and move on.