• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Does this count as volunteering?

Kouneko

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Over the past two months, I have been helping my father establishing a new clinic and took over the dental clinic from the previous owner dentist. I helped a lot during the transfer of ownership process, learned the dental managing software, hired new employees, organized refurbishment, and much more. I had to do a lot because my father does not know English well.

I don't have many volunteering hours during undergrads, so I want to put this experience and talk about this during my interviews. Does my experience count as volunteering (since I was unpaid)? For supervisor I am putting one of our employees' contact info.

Upvote 0

Kouneko

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Eh, it sounds like a bit of a reach in my personal opinion. I am of the belief that volunteering should be philanthropic, but that is my opinion and I am nobody lol.
If it helps, the clinic is in a medically underserved area, and the patients are predominantly (>90%) minority (Hispanics) with denti-cal.

I searched up "volunteering at a dental clinic sdn" on google and most people volunteer at a private dental clinic. The reason is unlike medicine, dentistry is largely privatized... So philanthropic volunteering is hard at a dental clinic...

Upvote 0
About the Ads

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
  1. Dental Student
If it helps, the clinic is in a medically underserved area, and the patients are predominantly (>90%) minority (Hispanics) with denti-cal.

I searched up "volunteering at a dental clinic sdn" on google and most people volunteer at a private dental clinic. The reason is unlike medicine, dentistry is largely privatized... So philanthropic volunteering is hard at a dental clinic...
No I understand where you're coming from. It just seems like you haven't actually helped anyone within that community, have you?

Upvote 0

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Are you suggesting that I should emphasize more patient-interacting activities I did rather than administrative side?
Thats what I consider to be volunteering, yes. Something that puts you in contact with a people that stands to benefit. Whether that be medically underserved populations, or homeless individuals at your local shelter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.