Does this count as volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kouneko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the past two months, I have been helping my father establishing a new clinic and took over the dental clinic from the previous owner dentist. I helped a lot during the transfer of ownership process, learned the dental managing software, hired new employees, organized refurbishment, and much more. I had to do a lot because my father does not know English well.

I don't have many volunteering hours during undergrads, so I want to put this experience and talk about this during my interviews. Does my experience count as volunteering (since I was unpaid)? For supervisor I am putting one of our employees' contact info.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, it sounds like a bit of a reach in my personal opinion. I am of the belief that volunteering should be philanthropic, but that is my opinion and I am nobody lol.

Eh, it sounds like a bit of a reach in my personal opinion. I am of the belief that volunteering should be philanthropic, but that is my opinion and I am nobody lol.
If it helps, the clinic is in a medically underserved area, and the patients are predominantly (>90%) minority (Hispanics) with denti-cal.

I searched up "volunteering at a dental clinic sdn" on google and most people volunteer at a private dental clinic. The reason is unlike medicine, dentistry is largely privatized... So philanthropic volunteering is hard at a dental clinic...

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, the clinic is in a medically underserved area, and the patients are predominantly (>90%) minority (Hispanics) with denti-cal.

I searched up "volunteering at a dental clinic sdn" on google and most people volunteer at a private dental clinic. The reason is unlike medicine, dentistry is largely privatized... So philanthropic volunteering is hard at a dental clinic...
No I understand where you're coming from. It just seems like you haven't actually helped anyone within that community, have you?

No I understand where you're coming from. It just seems like you haven't actually helped anyone within that community, have you?
Are you suggesting that I should emphasize more patient-interacting activities I did rather than administrative side?

Are you suggesting that I should emphasize more patient-interacting activities I did rather than administrative side?
Thats what I consider to be volunteering, yes. Something that puts you in contact with a people that stands to benefit. Whether that be medically underserved populations, or homeless individuals at your local shelter.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats what I consider to be volunteering, yes. Something that puts you in contact with a people that stands to benefit. Whether that be medically underserved populations, or homeless individuals at your local shelter.
Great point, thank you. I'll emphasize that instead.