Does this happen to anyone else?

drorthoman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a huge problem. I've found that when I talk on the phone or even to people in person (people who I don't know), I have trouble speaking. I jumble up all the words, my brain goes much faster than my mouth, and in turn, this causes me to jumble up my words (bringing verbs before preposition when it should be vice versa, and other mistakes that make me sound like a ******) :mad: . I have found that when I take my time and think about what I have to say, I am much better at speaking; however, I still make occasional mistakes in my wording. Does this happen to anyone else, and how can I fix this (I don't want to seem like an idiot in front of others or when I go for interviews)? I know this is due to nervousness, but there has to be a way to fix this, right? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a huge problem. I've found that when I talk on the phone or even to people in person (people who I don't know), I have trouble speaking. I jumble up all the words, my brain goes much faster than my mouth, and in turn, this causes me to jumble up my words (bringing verbs before preposition when it should be vice versa, and other mistakes that make me sound like a ******) :mad: . I have found that when I take my time and think about what I have to say, I am much better at speaking; however, I still make occasional mistakes in my wording. Does this happen to anyone else, and how can I fix this (I don't want to seem like an idiot in front of others or when I go for interviews)? I know this is due to nervousness, but there has to be a way to fix this, right? :scared:

I was the same way.

Then I got a few jobs that required me to correct that and forced myself to give presentations etc.

Practice makes perfect.

Take a public speaking class, join Toast Masters, and practice. Maybe join a club and force yourself to talk in front of people.

I also recommend taking a foreign language course since you get forced into these types of situations.

Overall, practice, practice, practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you in the high school forums here and there, so I assume you're still in high school. I'm entering into my 2nd year in college and had the exact same problem as you. Still have the same problem actually, but a little better. I've found that in college with a lot of new people you don't know you really develop your social skills and sometimes you won't even notice it until maybe the next time you prepare for a presentation or do an interview. If you're worried about medical school interviews, don't worry. You still have alot of time :)

Either something you can fix or you may have social anxiety where you need some sort of therapy?

Just be conscious about slowing down and thinking clearly. You will sound different, and it might sound weird to you, but you will sound much more deliberate if you slow down. I'm from the Northeast where we speak 100 mph, and yeah, it's easy to trip up. Try going slow enough that you eliminate all your "ums" and "uhs". And yeah, practice - you'll get used to it.

This used to be a huge problem for me but it's getting better. I think for me it's just nerves that snowball into more mistakes that snowball into more nerves. Something that helps is planning out the purpose of your phone call.

Also, don't say "******" in college. Just don't do it.

Speak less; listen more. Speak more slowly when you do. If the issue is confidence--and it sounds like it may be--do things to feel more confident about yourself. This may be gaining experience and specialized knowledge in your field (if it is for school/work) or general things such as working out and working on hobbies/skills.

If you are young you will mature out of it. A doctor once told me shyness and social nervousness is a factor of just being young. Good luck to u.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Yes. I've always had trouble in terms of speaking clearly for awhile. I remember when I was covering sports and heard my voice for the first time on a recorder, I went :scared:. Just slow down, speak thoughtfully and slowly, and HAVE CONFIDENCE. I can't emphasize that enough. I have struggled with that really badly, but that's another story. Let's just say my voice really didn't help. I'm getting better, but it's still a work in progress. Practice, remember to be calm, and don't become paranoid about it. Good luck! :luck: