Does this mean a rejection from Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe Joe on da Radio

Gissepi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my status check, it says:

"Thank you for applying to the MD Program. A review of your application indicates that correspondence was mailed to you on November 4, 2002."

???

joe joe

Members don't see this ad.

have you interviewed there? they told us at the interview that we wouldn't hear anything until Feb. or March. People have been getting pre and post-secondary rejections,though.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is post-secondary btw.

did anyone get this message before they got an interview invite? thanks much.

joe joe

post-secondary I just got an email headed "Interview Invite" and the status page read "file is under review" or something...

Originally posted by the boy wonder
post-secondary I just got an email headed "Interview Invite" and the status page read "file is under review" or something...

same thing just happened to me and it also says "file under review" on my page.

Originally posted by Joe Joe on da Radio
dammit! money stealers! blah!

jj

There's a poster on SDN who got the same status page message and then got a rejection letter shortly after.

Sorry man, damn money stealers, BLAH!! :(

I got that message in my status page and received an interview invite. The only thing different from you is that I got an email invitation that day as well. I hope you'll get a mail invite...

Same thing here. I received an email about the interview before the status changed on the website to indicate that they had mailed out a letter.

is it true that Pitt doesn't even look at the secondary when they decide whether to interview you or not?

no. im an MS-I at pitt (and i interview prospectives) and can attest to their procedures. around 150 people or so get an interview offer PRE-secondary. this is based mostly on numbers and a few random things in your application that may help you to stand out. if you got one of these offers, it is a very good sign as I and a great many of my classmates here were given the same deal. everyone else is either rejected or sent a secondary (about 25%ish or more are rejected before secondary). in the end, of the 5000 applicants, around 800-900 (i think) are interviewed.

I'm an August MCATer and the status on Pitt's web site changed for me with the same message that correspondence had been mailed. I have not yet received the letter, but I also have not received an email inviting me for an interview. Does this mean that the letter is probably a rejection since I have not received an email? Did anyone out there get an invitation to interview through regular mail ONLY?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember the exact date I was complete. It would have been shortly after they received my MCAT scores in the middle of October because they had everything else before then.

I don't think I will rush to my mailbox after work today. I'm pretty sure no email invite means a rejection letter.

My interviews so far are:
George Washington
Albany
EVMS
Boston U.

my application has been complete for a very long time now, since early october, and my status page still says under review. how long are they going to review??? do they give pref to pittsburgh residents?

Thanks, carbon for the support. I'm not really bummed, but Pitt would have been one of my top choices.

tufts02, I am not a Pennsylvania resident. I think the fact that you are still under review is a good sign ... you haven't been rejected yet.

They must be going through the August MCATers and have determined who they are NOT interviewing.

mine still says under review... ho hum.

perhaps yet another school i'm on hold at? :laugh:

ugh, I just got the status change notification online, but no email invite...

*sinking feeling in my stomach*

looks like history isn't on my side here.

I checked my status online this morning and saw "correspondence mailed." I remembered reading this thread a few weeks ago and I was definitely afraid that it was a rejection letter. Since this is my home school and definitely one of my top choices, I got scared. The mail did not bring a letter for me so I decided to call the admissions office to check.

She read the letter to me over the phone and congratulated me on my interview. I was very happy! :clap: I just wanted to let everyone who read this thread before know that the status change does not necessarily indicate rejection. I did not receive an email - only a letter in the mail (that has not arrived yet).

hey,

my pittsburgh online status says correspondence mailed as well. I'm away from town for a few days so I called the admissions office and they told me that they only knew that correspondence was mailed and have no idea whether it is an interview invite or a rejection. Given the previous post, does that sound a bit odd? Any thoughts DrKicker? Thanks.

ayj

ugh!! no correspondence mailed here. my file has been under review for sooooo long :confused:

ayj,
hard to know about your situation. we can speculate that she truly didn't know or felt uncomfortable telling you over the phone or is not allowed to give decisions over the phone, but none of that will do much good until you get the letter. good luck!

I received an interview invite via e-mail, so then I checked the status page and it said "correspondence has been mailed..." So, for those of you who have this message, it may very well be an interview invite. Good luck.

Ayj -

I wouldn't worry - I work in a building that is attached to UPitt med school and I asked the admissions person if I could walk (on my way to the cafeteria) to the admissions office to pick up a copy of the letter. I told her that the letter should have arrived at my house (only 20 minutes away) if it was sent on the day my status page said. That's why she read it to me...

Good luck and don't worry!

:laugh: that's really funny!

oh no not the dreaded empty envelope

They must have finally realized that we all think that big envelope=acceptance and little envelope=rejection and decided they could save money by not sending the letter!

:laugh: That is really funny! The admissions office staff at Pitt is great - give them a call tomorrow and they will let you know what happened.

Hi I was just reading up on this thread because I noticed that my status page has changed to "correspondence mailed" just yesterday. I called the admissions office and they said they couldn't tell me anything more than that I will be receiving a correspondence soon. Its funny because the letter was sent January 15, and I still have not received it. I would be sad if it was a rejection and a little disappointed if it was a late interview since I will be in Philly Feb 5-8. Did anyone else get the same status change on the same date? Oh and I did not get an email asking for an interview (guess thats not a good sign).

my status said mailed on Jan 8 - it changed online Jan 15 and the <dreaded> rejection letter arrived on Jan 15.

would that building be BST?

For those interested:

I talked with the office at Pitt today since I've been stuck on 'Your file is being reviewed' since October. They said that they interview "through March" and I could still get an invite "in the next couple weeks."
For what its worth.

Cheers,

Tom

every time this thread is bumped up i start to get worried! still under review though... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Meridian
would that building be BST?

Yes, the BST is becoming my 2nd home...