Does this mean I can apply to only one vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kylana

WCVM 2015
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a brochure about WCVM (University of Saskatchewan) and it says that they interview people AFTER they receive their marks in April. "The process is usually completed by July 1st." July 1st!? After reading posts here on SDN, it seems that most vet schools want you to accept or decline sometime in April. So if I want to go to Saskatchewan (mostly because it would be least expensive by far...) then I guess there would be no point in applying to other schools if they want a response in the spring. Does anyone know of any vet schools that allow you until July to make a decision? I guess I'd just feel a bit better applying to more than one.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though it's kind of a jerk thing to do, you can look up which schools don't have deposits to hold your place and apply to those so that if you get in you can tell them you're coming and then if you get into Saskatchewan call them and tell them there was a change in plans. I mean, it sucks for whoever they pull off of the waitlist to have to wait until July to hear it, but I'm sure they'd be glad to get in anyway!

I was just reading a brochure about WCVM (University of Saskatchewan) and it says that they interview people AFTER they receive their marks in April. "The process is usually completed by July 1st." July 1st!? After reading posts here on SDN, it seems that most vet schools want you to accept or decline sometime in April. So if I want to go to Saskatchewan (mostly because it would be least expensive by far...) then I guess there would be no point in applying to other schools if they want a response in the spring. Does anyone know of any vet schools that allow you until July to make a decision? I guess I'd just feel a bit better applying to more than one.

Another option would be to appy to WCVM one year and if you don't get in you can then apply to other schools that do VMCAS the following fall.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a first year student at WCVM, and yes, the process is a lot later than all the US/international schools. They usually interview people between April-May and then you find out usually the last week in June. Which province are you from? Obviously, if you're from Alberta (or got Alberta residency by working there for a year before applying), you can apply both to WCVM and to the new vet school opening in Calgary this year. Otherwise, the only thing you can really do is apply to other schools but risk losing your deposit should you find out you do get into WCVM. Really, the cost of going to WCVM is considerably less than that of going to an international school (since its subsidized for us), so I really don't think losing a deposit is a big deal; you'd still be way better off financially. Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions!

Sorry to hijack but I have a Hedgie too Kylana!

Thank you for all the replies! I don't think I am going to apply to vet school until I finish my BSc (two more years) so I have time to decide, but I'm thinking just apply to USASK and if I don't get in then apply everywhere else the next year.

I'm from BC so no vet school in Alberta for me. Lucky Albertans! Why can't BC have a vet school too!?

Oh yay, another hedgie person! The one in my avatar is actually not alive anymore though :( and I am currently hedgie-less. I am definitely going to get another hedgehog one day though!