Does this physics course count in BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmc303

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a "Physics for Poets" type class a few years ago before I had any intention of applying to med school, just to fulfill a science distribution requirement. It was actually just called "Time" -- an overview of relativity and quantum mechanics for English majors. It had a token amount of math thrown in, but it was almost entirely qualitative stuff. Is there any chance this course would be figured into my BCPM GPA? I'd rather it not, and it probably shouldn't, but I can't figure out what else it would be counted as.

Members don't see this ad.

vmc303 said:
I took a "Physics for Poets" type class a few years ago before I had any intention of applying to med school, just to fulfill a science distribution requirement. It was actually just called "Time" -- an overview of relativity and quantum mechanics for English majors. It had a token amount of math thrown in, but it was almost entirely qualitative stuff. Is there any chance this course would be figured into my BCPM GPA? I'd rather it not, and it probably shouldn't, but I can't figure out what else it would be counted as.

I took physics for poets and it did count in my BCPM. Sucks because i got a C+ second semester...

allisonbk said:
I took physics for poets and it did count in my BCPM. Sucks because i got a C+ second semester...

Damnit, same here. Isn't there some flexibility in how you categorize them though? I mean, it's called "Time," and it wasn't taught in the physics department. If I list it as a philosophy course (which it more or less was), do you think that would raise any eyebrows?

Members don't see this ad :)
vmc303 said:
Damnit, same here. Isn't there some flexibility in how you categorize them though? I mean, it's called "Time," and it wasn't taught in the physics department. If I list it as a philosophy course (which it more or less was), do you think that would raise any eyebrows?
If you'd rather it not, than it not. All these stuff are really subjective. Do it to the best of your interest, but be consistent (ie, if you say phyisics for poets is not, then nor is chem for poets... lame example, but you get the idea, i hope). At the most, AMCAS can change your grouping... but how would they know?

Sonya said:
If you'd rather it not, than it not. All these stuff are really subjective. Do it to the best of your interest, but be consistent (ie, if you say phyisics for poets is not, then nor is chem for poets... lame example, but you get the idea, i hope). At the most, AMCAS can change your grouping... but how would they know?

I think that if it was not taught by the physics dept, and that the PHYS code is not written by the course on your transcript, then you definitely do not have to classify it as physics. my physics for poets class had PHYS next to it, so it went in to BCPM.