SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does this qualify as "applying broadly"??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnesthesiaMD, May 12, 2007.

1. AnesthesiaMD

AnesthesiaMD 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I'm assuming this means to apply to a lot of schools with "magic number" stats approximating my own. Anyway, can any people with experience tell me how this set of schools looks to them? I'm a Michigan resident with a 68.0 "magic #" (MCAT not taken, i've been pulling 34s on my latest practice exams), GPA = 3.50 (after senior year which is when I'm applying) with a projected MCAT of 33.

1. Wayne State
    2. University of Michigan (a stretch, I know)
    3. Michigan State University (MD)
    4. Rosalind Franklin
    5. The George Washington University
    6. Georgetown
    7. Loyola
    8. Tulane
    9. Hopkins (dream school)
    10. Boston University
    11. St. Louis University
    12. Albany Medical College
    13. New York Medical College
    14. University of Cincinnati
    15. Drexel
    16. Jefferson
    17. Temple
    18. All branches of the University of Texas (no secondary fees)
    19. University of Vermont
    20. Eastern Virginia Medical School
    21. Virginia Commonwealth U.
    22. University of Washington
    23. Medical College of Wisconsin
    24. Medical University of Ohio

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. spospo

spospo Going to extremes 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2006
    The 'kane
    yeah, that is pretty broad. i personally would take u of wash off the list. they really really really favor instate/WWAMI people. very few oos get interviews, and normally those that do come from disadvantaged backgrounds. that is just my two cents though. best of luck

4. uhohspaghettio

uhohspaghettio Banned Banned

May 11, 2007
    68 is the "magic" number for MI? I've heard that Cali is like at least 70 :mad:

5. Gut Shot

Gut Shot 10+ Year Member

Sep 7, 2003
    I'd say you've done your homework. Nice job, and good luck!

6. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will... 7+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2006
    nice yeah my school list should have looked more like this and less like "Dartmouth Chicago Yale Stanford Cornell etc" cause damn i wasted a lot of money

7. searun

searun 5+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Yeah, take the University of Washington off of your list, you are just wasting your money. U of W will never happen if you are Michigan resident with those numbers. Hopkins will not happen either, but if you want to dream, then dream, just don't make it a wet dream. At least you had the good sense not to apply to Washington U, a school that is obsessed with numbers that you are not going to have. The rest of your list looks pretty good. Good luck.

8. alwaysaangel

alwaysaangel 5+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Orange, CA
    MDApps:
    So you just finished your senior year and you'll be applying now?

How do your ECs look? Your numbers look pretty similar to mine, and you're applying to a lot of the same schools.

Frankly I would cut it down. I know everyone says 15-20 is "average" and better to be safe than sorry but its a lot of wasted money. I applied to 21 originally and withdrew from more than half of those by October. It was a lot of wasted secondary/primary fees. Your numbers are good and if your ECs/interviewing skills and activities during your time off are decent too then you'll be fine with 10-15 schools. Look at the bigger details of the list because they kind of jump. Eg you say that Hopkins is your dream school, which is very research heavy. But a lot of the schools you picked have heavy emphasis on primary care. Decide what emphasis you want, what kind of environment you want and what kind of location you would be happiest at - and then cut at least 10 schools off that list.

Goodluck.

9. LteAprlIntervew

LteAprlIntervew Banned Banned

May 12, 2007
    Kentucky/new York
    Your list looks good. I am guessing youl get around a 32 mcat, due to test day stress/pressure/ annoying guy tapping pencil. But I agree with the others cancel out WASH U. I bet you can even cut off some of the lower tier ones and save some money. You should get in pretty easily just practice interviewing!

10. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom Banned Physician 10+ Year Member

It's absolutely impossible to determine what schools you have a shot at with only GPA + MCAT (and a projected one, at that!)

NYMC baffles the hell out of me though

11. confused48

confused48 Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Consider adding Ohio State and Wake Forest. These shcools are well represented with Michigan folks.

12. goongirl

goongirl 2+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2006
    An initial look over your list seems good...but then I realized that you're applying to 1-3 top 10 schools and then a whole lot of 30-60+ ranked schools, but you don't have any top 20/20s schools (correct me if I'm wrong). Now maybe you're avoiding all of these for a reason, but I would add in one or two, and personally, remove GW unless you have a really good reason for applying there. They tend to get a TON of apps b/c everyone thinks they're a solid mid-tier school so people apply there both as a safety and a reach, and it's very difficult to get an interview.

13. Old ortho

Old ortho 2+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2007
    U of Washington only accept OOS if they are URM. Johns Hopkins probably has cutoff at 3.6 / 32.

14. lifeistough

lifeistough

Sep 10, 2005
    Is UT Southwestern considered top-tier school? Or Baylor?

15. alwaysaangel

Sep 4, 2006
    Orange, CA
    MDApps:
    Actually they interview like 1000 people every year. So if 13000 apply 1/13 get an interview - thats not bad odds. Getting an acceptance is tough.

To the OP - if you aren't big on community medicine or volunteerism I would cut GW. From the other threads around it seems they have a heavy emphasis on that and like people who are passionate about that.

16. Gene Therapist

Gene Therapist Banned Banned

May 13, 2007
    Not really. The op should consider GW as a backup in case he doesnt get into the better schools he is capable of. Always keep a lower tier as a backup especially one of the ones that is easier to garner an acceptance from. So keep GW But also add Ohiostate as someone said they do love michiginians!

17. alwaysaangel

Sep 4, 2006
    Orange, CA
    MDApps:
    Back already troll?

OP - this guy is some pathetic loser who has never applied to med school and has nothing better to do all day than to repeatedly make proxies and make new accounts and troll a pre-med forum - ignore him.

GWU accepted like 400/1000 interviewees last year. So its not that tough, but like I said - if you aren't big into volunteering etc. it may be tough.

18. Vitapita

Vitapita 2+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I'm not URM, a Cali resident, and got into UWashington with 3.5 and 30 mcat. So apply if you want to go there!

19. uhohspaghettio

uhohspaghettio Banned Banned

May 11, 2007
    why did that guy LAteInterview or whatever get banned?

20. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    The magic # for Univ. of Michigan is 73.2 or so.

21. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    This taken from UWash's statement given to USNWR for their 2006 "ultimate guide"

"Residents from the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho are eligible to apply. Proof of residency is required. Residents from outside the region who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered. Individuals with a demonstrated interest in research may apply for the M.D./Ph.D. program regardless of residency."

So Vitapita, congratulations on your incomprehensible success, but you're either absolutely clueless or being intentionally obtuse. If it's the latter, keep up the good work :smuggrin:

22. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    Those numbers are projected numbers that I came up with based on my current upward trend in GPA and how my practice MCAT tests have been. I won't have those numbers until a year from now, so that's when I'll be applying to schools. As for my ECs, I have volunteering experience at a hospital which will total more than a year by the time I apply (didn't come to the decision to go to med school until December 2006 really), i've shadowed a wide range of physicians: family practice, gastroenterologist, 2 general surgeons, Anesthesiologist, and I volunteer at 2 nursing homes in my college town 3 hours a week total.

23. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    As you folks can probably tell, I am very new to this whole process and would like someone to explain what this "tiering" system is...someone said I should apply to more "mid-tier" schools. What exactly is a mid tier school?

24. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    its something SDN people made up to make them feel better about the schools they did or did not get in to.

there are no "tiers" it's a law school thing.

25. Vano

Vano 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    No research experience whatsover? Take Hopkins of your list then. To get into those top schools at least one aspect of your appl. has to particularly stand out, as it stands now all of your stats and experiences are average.

26. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS 7+ Year Member

May 22, 2005
    I am curious about how Texas works for OOSers...

27. scgroat

scgroat New Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I am mainly writing in regard to the Texas schools. In my experience, Baylor and Southwestern are considered elite schools, and, yes, they are very difficult to get into, especially with little research experience. I would probably cross them both off your list. As for the other Texas schools, they are all probably fair game, though you'll have to really stand out among other OOS applicants. As for the rest of your list, you should likely be in the mix at most of those schools. Last but not least, cross off any school that you know with certainty you would not attend. I know many people would go anywhere if they had to, but some, albeit few, would rather wait another year than go to certain parts of the country. It's important because you want to be somewhere where you know you can perform. As long as you break 30, have all of your ducks in a row, write a heartfelt essay, and APPLY EARLY, you will hopefully have some options.

28. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    Well, It's hard to get meaningful experiences in 5 months, therefore, I'm spending this next year trying to get more ECs. I joined the premedical chapter of AMSA at my Ugrad Institution as well, the bio club, will be going on alternative spring break next year, and will be working with a professor in his lab next year. It's the best that I can do. I didn't spend the first 3 years of undergrad doing such things due to my not wanting to go into medicine at that point in my life. I'm also a licensed pilot if that means anything.

29. geekOCD

geekOCD passionate people rock 5+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2005
    getting into texas schools being OOS looks hard based on the numbers...b/c of state law and their own preferences, they all only accept 5-10% OOS (at least that's how it was when I was applying). Now if you're a great applicant applying to some of the "lower tier" tx schools, maybe your chances are better...but for UTSW? I don't know...not great.

30. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    What is UTSW? The one in Dallas? I wasn't even considering that one if that's what you're talking about.

31. premeddick

premeddick Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2006
    What does this mean? Like if a person set up an ophanage or cured cancer or has awesome stats?

32. AnesthesiaMD

Jan 4, 2007
    Thanks to the help of a lot of you in this forum, I have seriously revised my list of schools to which I would possibly apply and wouldn't mind attending. Like I said previously, these schools have an average "magic number" at or below my own (of course it's only projected at this point, but it is reasonable) unless noted otherwise (*). Please note, I will not be applying to all of these schools and I still need some help in cutting down this list. State schools other than my own (Michigan) were chosen based on the percentage of applicants that got interviews at each school. Since I tend to interview well, I thought this was reasonable. Updated list in no particular order:

1. George Washington U.
    2. U. of Iowa*
    3. Rosalind Franklin
    4. Loyola
    5. U. Kansas
    6. Tulane
    7. MSU
    8. UMich*
    9. Wayne State
    10. St. Louis U.*
    11. Wake Forest
    12. Creighton
    13. Albany M.C.
    14. N.Y.M.C.
    15. SUNY-downstate*
    16. SUNY-upstate
    17. U. Cincinnati*
    18. Medical U. of Ohio
    19. Ohio State*
    20. Drexel
    21. Jefferson
    22. Temple
    23. Penn State*
    24. EVMS
    25. U. of Utah
    26. VCU
    27. U. Vermont
    28. Medical College of Wisconsin

If there is a school on this list that accepts OOS applicants from its neighboring states (eg. U. Washington) let me know, I didn't look too far into it tonight...thanks again!

Edit: I should also make it clear that I will be perfectly happy with getting only the MD from any of these above schools, I don't NEED a PhD.

33. Institute

Institute 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    are u in the md/phd program though?

34. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Florida/Fellowship
    This is a much better list. :luck: to you.

35. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I really think you are a solid LOCK at Wayne State with those numbers, but they like the MCAT, a lot, and if you go south of that 31-32 range everything goes out the window. But a 33 and a 3.5 and a solid interview should get you in... MSU-CHM (MD school) will only interview people who show some form of interest in primary care on their application, maybe you might want to talk about how much you liked shadowing that family practice doc so they give you an interview?

If you get a high enough MCAT you might interview early enough at Wayne so they give you that October acceptance and you can start turning down some of those schools you're less interested in... good luck! :)

36. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    MDApps:
    I think your updates list looks good. You probably shouldn't bother applying to U of Utah unless you have ties to the state. Some schools that you might consider adding are University of Illinois and Tufts. :luck: