1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Does This Schedule look to "weak"

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Blue87Fiero, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Blue87Fiero

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Physiology
    Genetics
    Physics w/ lab
    yoga

or replace yoga with Bio chem to make it better looking. I will be working 25-30 hours a week and I commute an hour and 15 minutes each way to school (4 days a week). I don't want to stress myself with harder classes and work. I just was wonder if only having 12 credit hours, 2 of which are yoga will look bad. Just wondering what other people think.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KittySquared

KittySquared Kitty chompers
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    2 sci classes and a lab course with 25-30 hours working is a lot. Is there anyway you can cut down the working to 15-20 hours? I think your schedule is fine with the way it is, and I hope you can ace them all. If you didn't have to work, I'd say add biochem in there along with yoga. Good luck!

-Kitty

4. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's weak. Schools don't know or care how far you have to drive. I recommend getting it up to 15 hours or more if you can. But this depends on your background. Already have a degree? post-bac?

5. molar3

2+ Year Member

why doesnt your physio & genetics have a lab too?

6. Predoctalk

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The schedule is fine. If you have to commute and you have to work, it's best to take that lighter load and get high grades. Don't load yourself with so much that you can't handle it.

7. Noble6

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Don't sacrifice high grades for larger courseload. 12 credit hours with 2 being yoga is a little on the low side though. Maybe you can take another 2 credit hour class that's not a total joke?

8. threechins

Pre-Dental
    I think it's pretty intense. I usually only load two or three BCP classes a quarter. Have you worked part time with classes before? I started third year doing 20 hours/week, but I was really stressed and tired doing that and four classes. I definitely agree with KittySquared that it may be wise to cut down. For my last year, I felt really good with 5 classes and 12 hours of work. Just a suggestion.

9. youknowthedrill

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    #8 youknowthedrill, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  10. Blue87Fiero

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I might look into doing a business class I didn't think of that. I have always had a part time job working any where from 20-40 hours weeks, but the most sciences classes I have ever taken at once where Bio II, physics I, and gen chem II all with labs and only working about 20 hours during that time.. The problem I have is that I took almost all my gen eds at the cc so I don't need anything but science classes know. I will probably wait on the Biochem and stick in a business class or something.

Thanks

11. Blue87Fiero

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I also want to add that the physiology class does a have lab. The genetics lab is taken the following semester and that I cant work any less than 25 hours a week. This is also semesters not that quarter nonsense :).

12. full

full Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it's fine. I'm skeptical whether schools will even look this deep into your transcripts unless they're deciding you over another person with the same stats.

Other thoughts...

I think your GPA is much more important. I personally would not sacrifice even a .05 GPA drop in a term to make my schedule look more impressive.

There are all these sayings like "if you do engineering you'll get away with a lower GPA," "if your schedule is harder you'll get away with a lower GPA," "if you took a O-Chem during the summer, you'll be less likely...," etc. etc.

From reading sites like mdapplicants.com and predents.com and even reading a lot of posts and calibrating myself, I've always felt that these sayings are wayyyy overrated. Like at most .05 GPA difference, IF THAT. I think things like schedule come into play when you are comparing people with the same stats and need to choose one over the other, but even then somebody who plays the violin might attract their liking more than someone with a 25 units a quarter schedule