Does this seem strange?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an e-mail today from GWU requesting that I send them a passport size picture to complete my application. The weird part is that I already interviewed there! What's up with that? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Did you send a picture during with your secondary? Or before your interview? It is optional before the secondary, isn't it? They probably just want it to put a face with your file during the adcom meeting. Maybe they lost your pic, I wouldn't be surprised with their huge applicant pool. Or, if you sent it in already, they may want another one because the scan of your old pic just didn't work well (pic too dark, etc.). I wouldn't read too much into it.
Though I will concede, it is peculiar and lends itself to conspiracy.
Happy thanksgiving.

Just go along with it. No harm, no foul.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had you already supplied them with a pic on the application or is this the first time they are asking for one? If the latter is true, they probably need your picture for when they are discussing your file in the AdCom meeting. Photos come in handy as they accelerate the "recognition" process for the faculty/students who interviewed you and help them remember you and what went on during the session.

However if you have already sent a photo through the application, they might have lost it. Schools lose THE WHOLE APPLICATION PACKET sometimes, so losing someone's picture would not be very surprising to me!

I don't know if I sent them a pic with my secondary or not, but I'm sure I did if they asked for one.

Actually, the part I thought was strange was the wording they used, that my file wasn't complete.

tacrum43 said:
I don't know if I sent them a pic with my secondary or not, but I'm sure I did if they asked for one.

Actually, the part I thought was strange was the wording they used, that my file wasn't complete.

I think they're just saying you're not complete b/c the secondary may have said if you don't put a picture now, you have to bring one to the interview....but i may be making that up

I never sent in a picture with my secondary, and I received the same request from GW post-interview. I just sent it in, and got a decision at the same time as everyone else. Nothing to worry about.

ntc1983 said:
I never sent in a picture with my secondary, and I received the same request from GW post-interview. I just sent it in, and got a decision at the same time as everyone else. Nothing to worry about.

except for the gremlins they will send to your house if you don't send it in within a week....GET MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the adcom girls thought you were cute and wanted a picture for her locker... I don't know.

C.P. Jones said:
except for the gremlins they will send to your house if you don't send it in within a week....GET MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, well I could just take it over there myself since I live in DC. Think I should go knock on the Dean's door on Thanksgiving and be like "Here's the picture you wanted. Enjoy your turkey. Oh, and please accept me."?

tacrum43 said:
Hmm, well I could just take it over there myself since I live in DC. Think I should go knock on the Dean's door on Thanksgiving and be like "Here's the picture you wanted. Enjoy your turkey. Oh, and please accept me."?

it would be funny if you went there, took a polaroid of yourself at their desk, and handed it to them

oh, and tell them to accept me while you're at it? thanks :)

C.P. Jones said:
it would be funny if you went there, took a polaroid of yourself at their desk, and handed it to them

oh, and tell them to accept me while you're at it? thanks :)

Good in theory...but they specifically asked for a passport size photo. A polaroid wouldn't do. ;)

tacrum43 said:
Good in theory...but they specifically asked for a passport size photo. A polaroid wouldn't do. ;)

Just make sure the camera is far enough away that when you cut yourself out it is passport sized. They didn't say passport style :idea: . . . so just make sure that you, with your feet on one of their desks, all fits in approx 2"x2" and trim.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dakota said:
Just make sure the camera is far enough away that when you cut yourself out it is passport sized. They didn't say passport style :idea: . . . so just make sure that you, with your feet on one of their desks, all fits in approx 2"x2" and trim.

:laugh:

Okay, I'm just gonna send in the pic I have. Don't think they would appreciate the feet on the desk routine.

tacrum43 said:

Okay, I'm just gonna send in the pic I have. Don't think they would appreciate the feet on the desk routine.

ok, ok, so you're not convinced about the taking the picture in front of them deal. will you at least bring your picture to them, slam it on their desk and yell "there! are you happy now?!" i think you'd get accepted w/o a question at that point....for...ummm....being assertive?

:thumbup: Honestly, I think it is a very good sign that they want your picture post-interview. Clearly, if they weren't impressed with you, or thought you weren't likely to get in, they wouldn't care whether or not they had your picture. Rock on! :thumbup:

keitaiKT said:
:thumbup: Honestly, I think it is a very good sign that they want your picture post-interview. Clearly, if they weren't impressed with you, or thought you weren't likely to get in, they wouldn't care whether or not they had your picture. Rock on! :thumbup:

Well that's a positive thought. :) Thanks for that.

Seriously though, I don't much understand the point of GW's interviews. Basically all they learned was that I can speak english. Especially with the faculty interviewer, we talked about pretty random stuff. I just mean, what memory are they expecting the photo to jog? Well whatever, I'm happy to provide the picture.

Yes, I realize this thread is getting pointless now, but so long as people keep responding to it, I feel obligated to respond. :p

tacrum43 said:
Well that's a positive thought. :) Thanks for that.

Seriously though, I don't much understand the point of GW's interviews. Basically all they learned was that I can speak english. Especially with the faculty interviewer, we talked about pretty random stuff. I just mean, what memory are they expecting the photo to jog? Well whatever, I'm happy to provide the picture.

Yes, I realize this thread is getting pointless now, but so long as people keep responding to it, I feel obligated to respond. :p

oooo, oooooo, i'll put a point back into this thread!

so i have my GW interview dec. 9th. So 25 min. per interview? I guess, as you said, it's pretty hard to talk about anything. Do they ask questions such as why GW, why medicine, or is it more of a conversation like: what do you like to do, etc. i guess an important thing for GW is to have some "red flag" ready to say? but would one really want to say something that bad about themselves, or pick something really meaningless....or probably what i'll do, some weakness that i have recognized and have actively worked upon

any more pointers? thx tacrum......g/l w/ GW...how long til you should hear back?

C.P. Jones said:
oooo, oooooo, i'll put a point back into this thread!

so i have my GW interview dec. 9th. So 25 min. per interview? I guess, as you said, it's pretty hard to talk about anything. Do they ask questions such as why GW, why medicine, or is it more of a conversation like: what do you like to do, etc. i guess an important thing for GW is to have some "red flag" ready to say? but would one really want to say something that bad about themselves, or pick something really meaningless....or probably what i'll do, some weakness that i have recognized and have actively worked upon

any more pointers? thx tacrum......g/l w/ GW...how long til you should hear back?

The student interviewer did ask a few real "interview questions" like: What is your greatest weakness? How would you contribute to the diversity of the class? (This was difficult for me being an upper middle-class white male, but I managed to say something). I had pretty much answered the why medicine question already when she asked "Tell me about yourself?", so she didn't ask specifically about medicine. She did also ask about my hobbies and extra curricular interests too. She seemed happy to talk about why she chose GW (she chose it over UNC).

The faculty interviewer only really aksed one question, which was "Where are you from?". Then we just chatted about lots of things, usually they were vaguely related to medicine. Actually he talked a lot, and I felt like I didn't get to say much. I don't know why, but in conversations, other people always seem to do more talking than me, but it might be different for you.

Pointers: Have a question in mind to ask your interviewers in case they ask "So do you have any questions for me?" and I think your idea about saying a weakness you've had and that you're working on is a good one.

Oh, and I should hear back anytime now. I'm guessing they'll wait until they get my picture though, so I predict two more weeks after I send in the picture. :)

:luck: to you too!

i had to go on a search for this thread again b/c it got lost off the 1st page, and i forgot what it was called! Alas, I have found it! Thx for the reply :)

hope everyone had a happy thankgiving.....tacrum, i hope you have a merry christmas when GW gets back to you :luck:

tacrum43 said:
So I got an e-mail today from GWU requesting that I send them a passport size picture to complete my application. The weird part is that I already interviewed there! What's up with that? :confused:

Sometimes when they review applicants they might be able to remember them better when a picture is attached to their file. Images help to conjure up things discussed during an interview.

Good luck tacrum! :)

riceman04 said:
Images help to conjure things discussed during an interview.

when i read this i imagined an the interviewer looking at the pic and doing one of those "TV flashbacks" and tacrum and the interviewer are jumping in waves at the ocean or something like that :rolleyes:

C.P. Jones said:
when i read this i imagined an the interviewer looking at the pic and doing one of those "TV flashbacks" and tacrum and the interviewer are jumping in waves at the ocean or something like that :rolleyes:

:) :D :laugh: :laugh:

C.P. Jones said:

Well I'm gonna send them the picture on Monday. I hope they enjoy it in all its 2"X2" splendor. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'll let you (and all of SDN) know when I hear something. It'll probably be a waitlist, but who knows? Maybe they'll be in the holiday spirit, and feeling generous. :)

CP, I would say good luck at your interview, but really you don't need it. It's very laid back, and the day is actually pretty short.

...Well okay, good luck anyways. :)

Riceman, are you interviewing there too?

tacrum43 said:

Well I'm gonna send them the picture on Monday. I hope they enjoy it in all its 2"X2" splendor. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'll let you (and all of SDN) know when I hear something. It'll probably be a waitlist, but who knows? Maybe they'll be in the holiday spirit, and feeling generous. :)

CP, I would say good luck at your interview, but really you don't need it. It's very laid back, and the day is actually pretty short.

here's another question....since i'll be arriving the day before, and have the whole day, and maybe a few hours after the interview b4 i have to run to my plane:

since i have never been to D.C.:

and i thought it would be cool to see stuff:

and use multiple colons:

what do you (or anyone else :) ) recommend seeing? the white house is only like 2 block away, right? and the national cathedral looks really cool, and obviously all the other stuff like the washington monument and such....is this all too much? am i allowed to take pictures, or will i be sniped from an undisclosed position for doing so? oooo, i want to go to the zoo, but i'd want a whole day for that, huh....anything else cool i'm not thinking of?

::what will actually happen:: I will arrive to snow and very cold temperatures, go in my hotel room, look over interview stuff, school stuff, go to bed, go to my interview, go to the airport really really early b/c it's still too cold, probably to find that my flight is delayed by snow...i will then have to sleep at the airport thinking ""why tacrum, why!" b/c i need a scapegoat to blame all my problems on....nonetheless, i'll be accepted into GW

i hope everything except the last sentence is false :)

C.P. Jones said:
here's another question....since i'll be arriving the day before, and have the whole day, and maybe a few hours after the interview b4 i have to run to my plane:

since i have never been to D.C.:

and i thought it would be cool to see stuff:

and use multiple colons:

what do you (or anyone else :) ) recommend seeing? the white house is only like 2 block away, right? and the national cathedral looks really cool, and obviously all the other stuff like the washington monument and such....is this all too much? am i allowed to take pictures, or will i be sniped from an undisclosed position for doing so? oooo, i want to go to the zoo, but i'd want a whole day for that, huh....anything else cool i'm not thinking of?

::what will actually happen:: I will arrive to snow and very cold temperatures, go in my hotel room, look over interview stuff, school stuff, go to bed, go to my interview, go to the airport really really early b/c it's still too cold, probably to find that my flight is delayed by snow...i will then have to sleep at the airport thinking ""why tacrum, why!" b/c i need a scapegoat to blame all my problems on....nonetheless, i'll be accepted into GW

i hope everything except the last sentence is false :)

Um, let's see. There is lots to see here in DC. I had a friend come in from California this weekend, so we've been playing tourist.

I don't think you can get very close to the White House anymore without a special pass that you have to get from your congressman. You can go into the U.S. Capitol building without a pass, but you need one to get the behind the scenes tour (okay, so it's still only semi-behind the scenes).

I haven't been to the zoo either, but I've heard the pandas are neat. Might be kind of cold being outside all day in December though. I haven't been to the national cathedral either, so I can't comment about that.

You could spend all day in just one of the Smithsonian museums. I went to the American HIstory museum today, and that was my favorite so far, but the Air and Space museum is neat too. As is the natural history museum. Okay, I think they're all good, but there is just so much to see! The Capitol building and the Washington monument are on either end of the national mall (where the museums are), so you could at least take a quick look at those in one day. Make a note of the metro stops though (www.wmata.com), because it is quite far to walk from the monument clear to the Capitol in the cold.

Adams Morgan is a cool place to go if you just want to wander around. There are so many different ethnic restaurants there, from Cajun to Ethiopian, and there's lots of bars there too if that's your thing, but maybe not so much the night before your interview. The metro is the best way to get around DC, and the Foggy Bottom stop is right outside the GW med school.

Georgetown is a neat area too, and perfect if you're looking to spend lots of money. It is sort of the Fifth Avenue of DC, especially Wisconsin and M streets. It also has lots of restaurants and bars, in addition to the designer shops.

Another thing you could check out is what's playing at the Kennedy Center those nights/days. They have a shuttle that runs from the Foggy Bottom metro right to the Kennedy Center, so it's easy to get to also.

As for the cold, I'm sure it won't be as cold here as in Connecticut. Which airport are you flying into? Reagan National has a metro stop, so that is convenient too (well depending on where your hotel is).

That's about all I can think of for now.

Oh yes, and don't go wandering into the east side of town after dark.

Sincerely,

tacrum, the scapegoat :)

tacrum43 said:
Adams Morgan is a cool place to go if you just want to wander around. There are so many different ethnic restaurants there, from Cajun to Ethiopian, and there's lots of bars there too if that's your thing, but maybe not so much the night before your interview.

I wouldn't recommend going within a 5-mile radius of Adams Morgan the night before your interview. If you're anything like me, It'll suck you in and before you know it you will be dancing around aimlessly in Jumbo Slice at 3am.

tacrum43 said:

No, I am actually not applying till May-June 2006!! :( :(
I'm gonna miss all of yall once you guys start med school.

Thanks again, tacrum. I'll be flying into BWI on Southwest b/c it was 44 dollars one-way, and any other flight to the other 2 airports on other companies was over at least 100 one way.....and supershuttle or taxi or such to holiday inn wherever that may be

i'll have to bring up a map and look at all these places a little later...but not right now...too lazy (which may be the case when i get to DC as well :) )

C.P. Jones said:
Thanks again, tacrum. I'll be flying into BWI on Southwest b/c it was 44 dollars one-way, and any other flight to the other 2 airports on other companies was over at least 100 one way.....and supershuttle or taxi or such to holiday inn wherever that may be

i'll have to bring up a map and look at all these places a little later...but not right now...too lazy (which may be the case when i get to DC as well :) )

Are you interviewing by the GW hospital?
If so you can stay at the Holiday-Inn Georgetown. They have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off from right in front of the GW hospital.

riceman04 said:
Are you interviewing by the GW hospital?
If so you can stay at the Holiday-Inn Georgetown. They have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off from right in front of the GW hospital.

i think that is the holiday inn i'm staying at b/c i remember wondering if georgetown is close or not, but i didn't know about a shuttle, thx for mentioning that! the interview is at 2300 I street, NW if that means anything to you...i think that's the admissions office (idk how close to the hospital or not, but i'd think pretty close)

C.P. Jones said:
i think that is the holiday inn i'm staying at b/c i remember wondering if georgetown is close or not, but i didn't know about a shuttle, thx for mentioning that! the interview is at 2300 I street, NW if that means anything to you...i think that's the admissions office (idk how close to the hospital or not, but i'd think pretty close)

The hospital and the admissions office are right next to each other. And yes, Georgetown and GWU are pretty close to each other.