Does this sound patronizing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In one of my secondaries I mention how the etymology of "doctor" shows that it originally meant teacher, and I elaborate on the role of physicians as educators.

Is this common knowledge?
Nix it or its am I overthinking?

Members don't see this ad.

this is common knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the question
It was NYU's where do you see yourself in 10 years

I mentioned my field of interest, and my desire to eventually educate (both patients and students). NYU seems to really pride themselves on churning out future faculty so I thought it would be OK to add that

I think it's fine to mention the etymology, but talk more about your experiences teaching and your motivation to do so rather than the etymology. Like, I would say (forgive my writing here) "The word 'physician' originally meant 'educator' and this designation still holds true today as many physicians are involved in teaching residents, students, and patients" and leave the etymology at that. The next bit should be focused on you.

I've seen it done tons of times. But it's a lot better than the typical opening of ""Al entered the ER bay very frightened..."

In one of my secondaries I mention how the etymology of "doctor" shows that it originally meant teacher, and I elaborate on the role of physicians as educators.

Is this common knowledge?
Nix it or its am I overthinking?

Reactions: 7 users
I think it's fine to mention the etymology, but talk more about your experiences teaching and your motivation to do so rather than the etymology. Like, I would say (forgive my writing here) "The word 'physician' originally meant 'educator' and this designation still holds true today as many physicians are involved in teaching residents, students, and patients" and leave the etymology at that. The next bit should be focused on you.
Yup, thats exactly what I did. Just thought it was a cool way to introduce that topic

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. I don't think it's a necessary detail.
It's not like your desire to become a medical teacher is rooted in a definition. And physicians aren't the only doctors, so you're going to have to throw in more sentences proving why being physician-teacher is better suited for your interests than PhD-teacher. . . It may get messy.

I'd focus more on your overall goal of becoming a medical teacher. Sometimes it's as simple as your love of teaching, but maybe it's a means to a greater end. Be creative in your supportive details rather than rely on an intro sentence. ; P

Could you write about five more sentences to that? And keep it under 1000 characters please

Could you write about five more sentences to that? And keep it under 1000 characters please

"The word 'physician' originally meant 'educator' and this designation still holds true today as many physicians are involved in teaching residents, students, and patients. My undergraduate career has instilled a deep passion within me for education, and I strongly desire to become a physician teaching the next generation, because they are our future. I believe that if they are taught well, they will lead the way. Everyone needs a hero and life can be a challenge. People need someone to look up to. I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs, and so I learned to depend on me. But in order for me to be the one to inspire my students and patients, I must start believing through my heart and my soul in changing the world. And so I hope to become a physician with a gift to dream and to make dreams real. Yours and mine."

That should hit the 1000 character limit I think.

Also I totally did not plagiarize the Pokemon Movie song

Reactions: 2 users
"The word 'physician' originally meant 'educator' and this designation still holds true today as many physicians are involved in teaching residents, students, and patients. My undergraduate career has instilled a deep passion within me for education, and I strongly desire to become a physician teaching the next generation, because they are our future. I believe that if they are taught well, they will lead the way. Everyone needs a hero and life can be a challenge. People need someone to look up to. I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs, and so I learned to depend on me. But in order for me to be the one to inspire my students and patients, I must start believing through my heart and my soul in changing the world. And so I hope to become a physician with a gift to dream and to make dreams real. Yours and mine."

That should hit the 1000 character limit I think.

okay okay i get it

stop making fun of my example writing :p

I've seen it done tons of times. But it's a lot better than the typical opening of ""Al entered the ER bay very frightened..."
Gawd I hate that! This is what happens when premed advisors everywhere tell applicants to make the opening paragraph in their PS "dramatic."

Reactions: 3 users