does thyroid disease really raise the risk of birth defects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined little korean girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone ! I remember reading an article about thyroid disease and higher risk of birth defects somewhere on the web recently, so I went searching for it, because I wanted to know if any of you knew if it was in fact true . I actually have hyperthyroid, and after I read this article, I started to worry. I found the article tonight and it's from the Johns Hopkins website. If you have time could you guys take a look at it and tell me your opinions ? Should I worry about having children while I have hyperthyroid ? I'm on medication right now, but there's always the option of destroying my thyroid and taking hormone supplements for the rest of my life . If I want to have a child, do you think that would be the best way to go ? Anyhow, here's the website , please check it out ! Thanks a lot !
<a href="http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/2002/JANUARY/020117.htm" target="_blank">Thyroid Disease Raises Risk For Birth Defects - Jan 17, 2001 Johns Hopkins</a>

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks everyone for your posts ! if anyone else has an opinion I'd be really glad to hear from you !