Does transferring actually look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pira

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been told to not even THINK about transferring again, because it will look horrible and I'll never get into vet school. I find this hard to believe, since it would look like I'm trying to push myself and be the best I can be. Any input?

I started at a teeny satellite campus to a major state school, and got right out of there after my first year. It was a spur of the moment decision (in August, mind you), so pickings were slim for a new school. I ended up at Kutztown, which is a decent sized school, but it's very art-centric with every other program as an afterthought. I feel like my degree is somewhat of a joke. It's practically in the middle of a cornfield, 3.5 hours from home, with the only decent-sized cities 30 minutes in either direction. There's a "Pre-Vet Club" with about 5 people in it. I'm miserable there, and want to go anywhere else.

What looks better: sticking it out with a good GPA at a school like that, or transfer a second time to a school where all things science and medical are actually encouraged and opportunities abound?

Members don't see this ad.

I had four different schools on my application and it was not an issue getting into vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as long as you have good reasons for transferring (and I think wanting to be at a school with a better science program is a good reason), it's fine. I think it would be a red flag to vet schools only if it seemed like you were being flaky and unable to stick with a school. After all, once you're in vet school it's much more difficult to transfer, as not all vet schools even accept transfer students.

I had... seven or eight transcripts I think. A couple were from co-enrolling at CC and a 4-year university, but I fully transferred 3 or 4 times. Got in my first try, and for the schools I only got waitlisted at, I was told my academics were fine and it was probably the interview that was the problem.

You have a good reason to transfer, I think. Especially wanting to go somewhere with a more challenging science program. I placed a short sentence or two in my explanation statement giving my various reasons for transferring so many times (really, every transfer was well thought out, even though I had several schools with only 1 or 2 semesters before I left).

I had 5 schools, including 2 I failed out of. I think yer ok (at least, in regard to the specific question).

But, be prepared to give a good answer why you moved around.

This thread helps me too :)))) thank you!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

I have 7 schools. I met with the head of admissions at CSU and not a comment was made about it. I went to an interview at Midwestern and it was brought up and they questioned me quite a bit about why I had so many schools. Were fairly combative about it, actually, which surprised me. So guess it depends on the school/person who is looking at your application.

I have 7 schools. I met with the head of admissions at CSU and not a comment was made about it. I went to an interview at Midwestern and it was brought up and they questioned me quite a bit about why I had so many schools. Were fairly combative about it, actually, which surprised me. So guess it depends on the school/person who is looking at your application.
Was this seven schools including community college courses/study abroad/distance learning, or six full on transfers? Personally I think there's a big difference. I don't know your reasons for transferring, but I think it's fair for a school to question things if an applicant transferred more than once or twice. I don't think there's ever really any reason for interviewers to be rude or confrontational, though.

Doesn't surprise me. New school with many kinks still to be worked out being paranoid about people enrolling and then jumping ship at the first sign of trouble.

Was this seven schools including community college courses/study abroad/distance learning, or six full on transfers? Personally I think there's a big difference. I don't know your reasons for transferring, but I think it's fair for a school to question things if an applicant transferred more than once or twice. I don't think there's ever really any reason for interviewers to be rude or confrontational, though.
Two community colleges and one university that was a single, non-traditional, off-campus course. The rest were multiple quarters/semesters of on-campus courses at universities. I agree, I think it is fine to question 7 schools, it does seem curious and I think asking about it is perfectly reasonable. The tone of the questioning... well, whatever :). I had no control over it and I think they were trying to rattle me somewhat to see what I'd do. I didn't mind it, it was their choice and most likely a tactic.

Doesn't surprise me. New school with many kinks still to be worked out being paranoid about people enrolling and then jumping ship at the first sign of trouble.
Good point, they were definitely checking me out about it! They brought it up in several ways and directly asked me about it in no uncertain terms.