Does UCSF read personal statements before offering secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungrybox

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm starting to doubt that I'll get into any medical schools at all simply because of how bad my personal statement was. I'm looking for any hope I can get.

Does anyone know if UCSF reads personal statements before sending out secondaries? I received a secondary invitation from UCSF and I'm just looking to latch on to any shred of hope that my personal statement won't completely shut me out of medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess that they do, at least from what I can remember from the interview, they try to be as selective as possible pre-II so that they maximize acceptance percentage for interviewed applicants, or something like that.

That's why I note that I am just guessing. However, they seem to take a long time to invite applicants for secondaries, it was the last one I received, so what are they doing that whole time?
illuminati.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure, but I feel like most schools don't fully review apps until secondaries are in. They may do a quick stat check, and if the applicant is on the borderline do a more holistic review. There's much more money to be made by offering more secondaries than they have II spots for, and sadly it seems like most schools exploit this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It was mentioned at my interview that they look at your GPA, MCAT, and activities before sending you a secondary. There was no mention of PS at all but If I were a gambling man, I'd wager that they do look at it. At the very least, someone glanced at it and thought you were worth a shot.

Why would they not??????????????

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Right now I'm starting to doubt that I'll get into any medical schools at all simply because of how bad my personal statement was. I'm looking for any hope I can get.

Does anyone know if UCSF reads personal statements before sending out secondaries? I received a secondary invitation from UCSF and I'm just looking to latch on to any shred of hope that my personal statement won't completely shut me out of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would they not??????????????

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Because offering anyone a secondary gives them the hope they need to e-pay the $100 to still have a chance at being offered an II

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile