does undergrad school make a difference.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wave1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to tulane and have a 3.5 overall 3.2 science im a louisiana resident. what would look better to a med school in the state a 3.5, 3.2 from tulane or a 3.7, 3.4 from lsu. Did i shoot myself in the foot by not going the easier route?

Members don't see this ad.

nah youre not totally screwed. true they do claim to consider the institution and degree of difficulty of classes, but lots of ppl get in from non-major universities

i dont evne know if tulane or lsu is bigger :D

Members don't see this ad :)
does it even matter at this point? you go to where you to go. just improve your stats

A 3.5/3.2 is still fixable. You need to get out of the mediocre range to have a decent shot at med school (though an MCAT of 32 would probably compensate sufficiently for the cGPA, you absolutely need a better BCPM). Your GPA is your highest priority. If you are getting lower grades because you are over-involved in other activities, then get less involved. You can always get ECs later. But GPAs are harder and harder to fix as you get into the later college years.

thanks guys. and btw lsu is much larger, while tulane is far more selective its a top fifty school. hence my question but thanks for the advice. Also does course load make a difference to acceptance boards. i've been taking an average of 19-20 hours a semester

Adcomms like to see one successfully manage a heavy load (which can be academic, or school plus work/ECs/family/research/MCAT study, etc. If you overload and get mediocre grades then you didn't do yourself a favor. If you underload, it doesn't look good either. I did 20 hours for just one semester so I give kudos to you for surviving it repeatedly