Apr 10, 2010
New York State
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey everyone. I just wanted to know whether my undergraduate institution mattered for medical school. I'm ranked 7 out of 316 and have taken most of the AP/IB classes at my school with a GPA of 4.0. For some reason, I don't want to move away from home and attend an IVY league school, so does that make me a very lazy student? I don't want to give up a great undergraduate education when I have the capability to do more. Help me out here, please!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone. I just wanted to know whether my undergraduate institution mattered for medical school. I'm ranked 7 out of 316 and have taken most of the AP/IB classes at my school with a GPA of 4.0. For some reason, I don't want to move away from home and attend an IVY league school, so does that make me a very lazy student? I don't want to give up a great undergraduate education when I have the capability to do more. Help me out here, please!
I was going to say use the search function, but I'm pretty sure you can just scroll down like half a page and find a thread discussing this EXACT topic. Seriously people.

Short answer: Yes, but not enough to warrant being unhappy or paying a bunch more money (unless you want to get into a top med school, then the answer is a stronger yes but still not necessary).

morning

butane in my veins
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think an aptitude for resourcefulness is more important, in the long run.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm bored, so I'll answer instead of saying search.

Here's the best advice in regards to your question: Go to the best school you can that you'll still be happy at.

And from personal experience, yes, it helps greatly.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Go to an Ivy if you can get into one.

If you can get into your state's flagship university, you'll be fine.