Does walmart/CVS/smith/RA have an immunization tool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curiousone1111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I know walgreens has an immunization selection tool (ask the patient questions then based on the answers the system tells you which vaccine to choose). Does any other chain have that?

I don’t see how pharmacists in a busy setting can remember all the precautions/contraindications for each specific vaccine and end up choosing the correct one. It isn’t a clinic where you have all of the patient’s background notes on whether they got pneumovax first or prevnar, etc

Members don't see this ad.

I think rite aid does but I haven't known anyone to actually use it. What precautions/contraindications are you concerned about? Since shingrix came out we don't give any live vaccines so there aren't many that I care about.

As far as vaccine schedules, you just have to remember a few time frames and ask the patient/look up their vaccine history.

In reality you use only 3 expanded vaccines very commonly (Tdap, PPSV23, Shingrix) plus whatever is common to your area but not so much elsewhere (like MMR & Varivax & HepB) so you can look others up if you need a refresher.