Does what school you get your PharmD. from affect your residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moi

Ecstatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In otherwords, does going to a "better rated" pharmacy school improve your chances of being accepted into a residency programs? Or are all pharmacy graduates created equal, so to speak?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I was told, this is one of the few times where your school's reputation can help you.

It doesn't have to be like this though. Get good grades, be the total package (I feel like I say this a lot) and bust your butt. It will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't have to be like this though. Get good grades, be the total package (I feel like I say this a lot) and bust your butt. It will happen.

I agree. Sure, going to a good school will help,but if you're a well rounded candidate that has shown good performance, you have as good a shot as anybody.

Unless of course your school has a pass or fail grading system. Then it can only be based off of the fact you have a pharmD and any other special things you have going on - GPA wouldn't be able to help you... Does anyone know how well USN graduates do when it comes to residency competition? Pacific U is the only other school in the genre - but they dont have any graduates...

~above~

Are you saying USN students don't have GPA's... it's pass/fail? I didn't realize any pharmacy schools did that!

Are you saying USN students don't have GPA's... it's pass/fail? I didn't realize any pharmacy schools did that!

both USN and Pacific use a pass/fail system and operate on the block system(90% is pass and you have two retries to obtain this if you don't obtain it the first time)

Unless of course your school has a pass or fail grading system. Then it can only be based off of the fact you have a pharmD and any other special things you have going on - GPA wouldn't be able to help you... Does anyone know how well USN graduates do when it comes to residency competition? Pacific U is the only other school in the genre - but they dont have any graduates...

~above~

I believe that UCSD is also on a pass/fail or honors system.

http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/Schedules/policy/grading.pdf

Yeah, USN and Pacific are on the pass/fail system, but it takes 90% to pass;)

~above~

From what i have heard, USN grads that have wanted a residency have not had any problems, but I get the impression that a lot of students just want to be done afterwards which makes it a little easier to obtain a residency. I think we have like 7 residency spots in Las Vegas (VA and UMC)