Does where I do my Post Bacc matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Dental Rev

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to be graduating soon with an oGPA of 3.2 and a sGPA of around 3.2.
I have not taken my DAT yet, but I'm going to be applying this cycle. However, I'm not that hopeful of getting in with this low GPA unless I do really good on the DAT.

If it doesn't work out this cycle, I am planning on moving back home and taking some classes at my local state university to boost my GPA but they only have the option of taking a post bacc for non-degree courses. I may be able to apply to take a second bachelor's degree instead though but I'm not really sure if I can.

Would this be enough or should I apply to a university with a dedicated post bacc program or one that's specialized for pre-dentals?

I'm more inclined to take classes at my local state university because it is cheaper and I can commute from home. But I'm not sure if dental schools will prefer a specialized post bacc over a non degree post bacc.

Members don't see this ad.

When I reached out to ecu admissions said that all they care about is that you make the grades. Doesn't matter if it's a post bacc, grad program, or second degree.

I'm in a similar boat as you, except I've decided to go back to school while I'm applying to dental school(in case it takes more than one cycle). I recently got the dat score I needed, and now want to focus all my time on improving my application. I applied to a post bacc, but if that does not work then I will work on a second degree.

If you really want a clear idea, you should reach out to admissions where you would like to apply. They will be the only ones that can tell you if your plan will be a good idea.

Reactions: 2 users
When I reached out to ecu admissions said that all they care about is that you make the grades. Doesn't matter if it's a post bacc, grad program, or second degree.

I'm in a similar boat as you, except I've decided to go back to school while I'm applying to dental school(in case it takes more than one cycle). I recently got the dat score I needed, and now want to focus all my time on improving my application. I applied to a post bacc, but if that does not work then I will work on a second degree.

If you really want a clear idea, you should reach out to admissions where you would like to apply. They will be the only ones that can tell you if your plan will be a good idea.
Thank you for the advice. I definitely will contact my desired dental schools and ask them about what they prefer.

I'm thinking about doing a 2nd degree bachelors because I heard that you get better class selection priority that way. I just want to see what other people's experiences are on this matter because most people talk about a SMP or a post bacc program associated with a dental school. I want to see if there are those who do just a regular post bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what your GPA trends are with that 3.2... that matters a little bit. Knock out the DAT and that will help your argument that you better understand some of the material... or at least how to take a test. Whether it is a DIY or certificate or second degree, it won't really matter as long as you show you are ready academically.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice. I definitely will contact my desired dental schools and ask them about what they prefer.

I'm thinking about doing a 2nd degree bachelors because I heard that you get better class selection priority that way. I just want to see what other people's experiences are on this matter because most people talk about a SMP or a post bacc program associated with a dental school. I want to see if there are those who do just a regular post bacc.
It can be more streamlined when you are in a program designed to help you get into school. That's the reason I chose to apply to a pre health post bacc. They will likely have resources specifically designed to help you(application meetings/events and committee letters), but bottom line is whatever program/classes you take need to be crushed so they know you are serious. Your goal should be to make A's and anything less is unheard of. Go into this thing with the idea you will do whatever needs to be done in order to improve your application. Work out any kinks you have in your study habits now so that you can hit the ground running in dental school.

I'm going to make this cheesy and talk about Kobe Bryant. Paraphrasing, but a D2 or D3 college recruit asked him how to get scouted for the NBA while playing in a lower tiered conference. His advice was to get buckets, regardless of where you play. If you can score on anyone, anywhere, then people will notice your talent. I'd say that applies here(just make sure the dental schools will accept the credits first!). Wherever you go, make a plan for how you will improve your application. Grades come first(A's!), but any extra shadowing/volunteering will always look good. If you need LOR's, then talk to professors about that early, and stay in their office hours. You don't want your application to be a hard choice. Showing that you are determined and dedicated to becoming a dentist will give you a great shot. And if you miss out on the first cycle, you will be able to show in the reapplication process that your application has improved since the last time you applied. You already know this is an uphill battle, so put your head down and get to the top.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your success.

Reactions: 1 user